Author Topic: Reagent storage times and conditions  (Read 2480 times)

biotechdude

Reagent storage times and conditions
« on: January 08, 2004, 05:54:00 AM »
Swix thought it would be helpful for all if Bees shared any experiences or wisdom on the shelf life, storage, handling etc of reagents for Meth Rxn Procedures eg. HypoP, Pacid, RedP, HI, I etc etc.

Note that this thread is not a 'Chems and Equipment' topic of the generic 'seal chems and place in a dry cool dark environment' direction.  But actually specific and unique 'dos and donts' for the reagents discussed in the Stimulants Forum.

For example,

After a rxn, Swix has premade D1.7g 57% HI leftover.  He had boiled it in some H3PO3 until a light yellow, and it now stood in a little plastic container.  He put a folded plastic bag over the openning and put a tight rubber band around the lip.  He placed it in a dark cool cupboard and it has been there for a month.  It doesn't look like it has changed colour (eg by droppping out I) and it's density is still 1.7g.  All indications point to it still being ok; but is there any other concerns?

Also in excess that day was some foliar-extracted H3PO3/H3PO4 mixture.  This has been kept sealed in a freezer for a month as well.  Would this still be ok?

Get it? YAY!!

Cheers Bio

SHORTY

Well,
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 09:04:00 AM »
I keep my lg iodine in the fridge and my hypo in the freezer. 

I never have any pseudo to store so can't comment on that.

My recycled iodine is kept in a amber glass jar with a large plastic bag {with holes in it)of silica gel. Similar to the ones found in some bottled otc medications and electronics etc..  Except about 20 times more silica.