Author Topic: Inert Atmosphere??  (Read 2043 times)

Hippieduster

Inert Atmosphere??
« on: February 08, 2003, 08:03:00 AM »
When using an Inert Atmosphere (N20)do you have to keep it a steady stream or use a ballon (N20)? This puzzled me after reading something on the net. From what I know I believe it should be a steady stream,but I am not sure.

Barium

It depends on what you are doing.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 12:29:00 PM »
It depends on what you are doing. A baloon can be used for a closed system in which there is no gas evolved in the reaction and a stream is used when there is gas evolved. In the latter case you can´t have a closed system. I haven´t seen N2O (nitrous oxide, laughing gas) been used as a inert gas because it can act as a oxidizing agent, but N2 (nitrogen) is the most commonly used inert gas because it reacts with very few things.

amalgum

yeah
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
Helium works just as well.  Also cheap and easy to get.

Natrix

Argon is cheaper than helium.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 10:06:00 PM »
Argon is cheaper than helium.

Rhodium

inerts
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 10:09:00 PM »
And nitrogen even cheaper...

A disadvantage of Helium compared to Argon (both completely inert though) is that it is so light as to easily escape the reaction setup.

Barium

Argon is heavy enough for you to actually be...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 01:08:00 PM »
Argon is heavy enough for you to actually be able to, if you are quick and have gentle hands, open the reaction setup to make some adjustments without disturbing the inert atmosphere too much. Argon is also soo much cheaper than helium. A 50L (@ 200 bar) nitrogen cylinder costs me about $30 to refill while a argon cylider of the same size costs me about $100. Nowdays I use both but I used to only go for argon in the past.