Author Topic: lactone purification  (Read 12055 times)

wimpy

Hey! Really thanks a lot - that's kind of...
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
Hey! Really thanks a lot - that's kind of light at the end of the tunnel :)
But do i get this right? As far as i understand one would not be able to get pure Nitrite out of this, or ... ?
So this leads to the question: would a smaller amount of NaCL affect the reaction?
Anyway, thanks a lot, swim will try as soon as possible!

Rhodium

Nitrite enrichment by fractional crystallization
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2004, 01:51:00 PM »
But do i get this right? As far as i understand one would not be able to get pure Nitrite out of this, or ...?

You have very good prospects for purifying the nitrite - for each iteration of a fractional crystallization procedure using the bare minimum of water needed to dissolve the nitrite (but not more than that as to avoid dissolving too much NaCl) you will remove 75%+ of whatever amount of NaCl you still have left in your salt mixture. If I have calculated it all correctly you will have enriched the nitrite content by three orders of magnitude in five recrystallizations (or less!). If you start out with a NaCl:NaNO2 ratio of 100:1 you will soon have changed that to 1:10...
100:1 ? 25:1 ? 6:1 ? 3:2 ? 4:10 ? 1:10

Agni

using a retort
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »
i really want to try this synth but i dont have a disstilation unit or the money to buy one. Could i use a retort instead of the "normal" flask/condenser method? they are a good deal cheaper.