Author Topic: LSD - CDI Method?  (Read 5120 times)

Sleen

LSD - CDI Method?
« on: January 15, 2004, 11:44:00 AM »
I have a few questions about LSD - CDI method I was hoping someone could answer.

Using TFSE and digging up info on CDI -
For any CDI process I am taking as a must - components all anhydrous(very) and to be done in dark room conditions - even if not stated.

1. As posted by Rhodium earlier:
A suspension of 1.34g (5mmol) anhydrous D-Lysergic Acid in 80ml DMF was mixed at 20°C with a solution of 0.89g (5.5mmol) N,N'-Carbonyldiimidazole in 25ml DMF and the reaction mixture was then stirred for 30 min at 20°C in the dark. The clear solution was then mixed with a solution of 0.40g (5.5mmol) Diethylamine in 5ml DMF, and the mixture allowed to stand for 2h at 20°C followed by 20h at 5°C. The resulting amber solution was freed from DMF by evaporation at 50-60°C under aspirator vacuum, the residue dissolved in 250mL 2% aqueous tartaric acid and the solution washed with diethyl ether. To the aqueous phase was added a small amount of Ostacol (activated carbon), the solution filtered with suction and basified to pH 8 with aqueous ammonium hydroxide. The liberated freebase was extracted with a 9:1 ether/ethanol mixture, and after separation and drying of the organic phase, the solvent was evaporated in vacuo to give 2.3g of crude product, which consisted of 57 weight% of the diethylamides of D-Lysergic acid (I) and D-Isolysergic acid (II) (81% yield calculated on the starting acid) and the rest being chiefly Imidazole. According to qualitative TLC analysis the crude product contained only the amides (I) and (II) as well as traces of D-Lysergic acid and a decomposition product.

The crude base mixture was dissolved in 10ml 99:1 benzene/acetone and chromatographed on 50g alumina (activity III-IV) using the same solvent mixture as eluent to separate the different fractions. From the first fractions, 0.93g very pure D-Lysergic acid Diethylamide, [a]20/D+26° (c=0.30; Pyridine). Following recrystallization from methanol, the physical properties of the neutral D-Lysergic Acid Diethylamide L-Tartrate was found to be identical to an authentic sample; mp 198-200°C, [a]20/D 31° (c=0.92; Water). Upon drying in a vacuum dessiccator at 100°C/0.2mmHg the substance lost 5.02% of its weight. For (C20H25N3O)2.C4H6O6 (796.9 g/mol) calculated: 10.55% N; found: 10,48% N.
Reference: Svensk Farmaceutisk Tidskrift Vol. 75, pp. 933-40 (1971)

**Also, without the chromatographed purification, you would have a combination of LSD, iso-LSD, Imidazole.  Could this even be a possibility to try using?**

bbell

iso and normal LSD
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
Sure you could use the product without purifing, using chromatography. My question is why, when chromatography is so simple a procedure. Yes all the steps are there. The original manuscript is in German, therefore this is a translation. The part that is left out is the manufacture of the starting material, d-lysergic acid. This step, production of starting material is not facile, to a non chemist.

Sleen

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
Thanks bbell

I had asked about the non-chromatographed product in case someone would be waiting on the materials to do the chromatography and wanted to try it in the meantime.
From what I had read, the iso-LSD is non active, but also non harmful.  I was thinking if that small an amount of Imidazole would cause any ill effects.

Rhodium

restless?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 11:18:00 AM »
Who begins an LSD synthesis before having all the materials needed?

Sub-milligram doses of the impurities present will not be hideously toxic, but the actual dosage of the LSD you take will be a wild guess, as when you don't have a pure material you cannot quantify how much is actual d-LSD.

Sleen

Lesson Learned
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »
Thanks Rhodium!

I had made some bad assumptions about some raw material delivery.  I agree, don't start until you have everything.  Lesson learned for me.