Author Topic: helping rhodium rewrite the MM nitro procedure  (Read 3884 times)

hsark

helping rhodium rewrite the MM nitro procedure
« on: August 21, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »
You have to add acetone to dry out any water that (who knows) somehow gets in the solvent.

homeslice

Swim did that the last 2 times w/ no success.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »
Swim did that the last 2 times w/ no success. After washing the salt in the funnel he used that acetone to mix in with the toluene solution for the freezer.

How long would it take if salt was going to crash out of it? Swims under the assumption that it would happen as soon as the solution reached near 0.

FlaskGenie

Swim can't get toly so he uses straight ...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »
Swim can't get toly so he uses straight acetone.  Swim gasses till xtals come out but always over gasses.  He knows cause his acetone turns brown and is 1 on ph scale.  Slaps it in the freezer and gets a suprise every day for about a week.  Last time this happened swim obtained an extra 5gms of whatever it is over a weeks time after the fact.  It is just a hunch but I think a seed xtal thrown in might speed up the process.  I know this is a little off topic but I hope it helps

hsark

helping rhodium rewrite the MM nitro procedure
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 03:18:00 AM »
Maybe it doesnt work as well with toluene. Or maybe your getting it all. SWIM doesnt use toluene anymore. Its been awhile since  SWIM used it and knows that toluene holds very little water. Maybe some one else can answer that question. But the acetone trick works for others. Sometimes you have to wait days.

hypo

toluene & acetone
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »
> After gassing swim always leaves his toluene solution in the freezer overnite
> in hopes of salt precipitating out, although it never happens

why don't you just distill off half of your toluene - that should get rid of
water. how do you recover your toluene anyway?

> He knows cause his acetone turns brown and is 1 on ph scale

YUCK! and you eat the resulting crap!? you can't just replace toluene with acetone!
if you can't get toluene then titrate the _distilled_ freebase with dil. HCl.

Snakebyte

for sure
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 01:34:00 AM »
Hypo is right.  My friend has titrated with acetone and has got really nice crystals that form that don't even need to be recrytallized.  When using toluene he gasses and leaves the beaker in the freezer overnight before filtering.  But that way he always has to recrystalize if he wants nice crystals like the ones he gets from titrating with acetone and HCl.

homeslice

Snakebyte: Which way does your friend prefer?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »
Snakebyte: Which way does your friend prefer? Swim might look into this titrating with acetone and hcl.

Rasputin

I Hate To Sound Like Rhodium
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 05:59:00 AM »
But, recrystalization is always nescesary. Im a good cook, not the best, but good, even I know its nescesary. Personally speaking, I have never found a drug, "street" "homemade" or otherwise that hasnt been able to benefit from a good recrystalization or two. I think all of the pros would agree.
Just one more opinion to add to the pile.

hypo

i disagree
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »
but then, i'm not a pro.
if you did thorough A/B and your freebase is distilled, i don't think recrystallisation
is necessary unless you want shiny crystalls. two is definitely overkill.

snakebyte: the problem with MDMA is that it forms hydrates. this could be a problem.

Snakebyte

yeah i know
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 05:48:00 AM »
I remember a post by Osmium (i think) that said that titrating in acetone might cause some H2O to be trapped in your salt hence making the product less potent but my friend never noticed any difference upon ingestion.  Someone who has better equipment than my friend should crystallize both ways and report back with a GC/MS-analysis and be done with these endless crystalliztion posts.