Author Topic: Durdans Manganese Dioxide Festival  (Read 2012 times)

Cept

Durdans Manganese Dioxide Festival
« on: August 21, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »
days ago, nose hurting he saw something hiding back behind the furnace which would prove useful to further education via first hand xps... KMnO4. So he decided to prep some activated mno2.
   Reacted about 700 ml toluene(distilled) with i think 600g's permanganate and set it to maybe 95c, a bit shy of 110 but he had to run off to work-not enough time he always tells me. he gets home and not much changed, browner yet remaining purple together we are men walking it to the boiling waterbath. Some violent reaction soon went off, and he got a very long very genuine adrenaline rush and thoughts of cataclysmic devilution, memories of the grape cool aid that was actually 2%cold kmno4 solution to epoxidize isosaf...anyhow reaction went and benzoic acid was produced.(above 40c prefers oic acid) Lots of mno2 crashed out just like methcat. activated it by addition of purple permanganate liquid until composition of the mix changed interestingly enough to a more blackish/brown dusty but MEAN shit....kinda like breathing hydrogen and gettin skin rushes...do yall get em?or is it just me...  then he rocked a 66%sulfuric acid /mno2(fresh prep'd+dried)toluene oxidation to benzaldehyde. He always knew what it smelled like, like bathrooms - clean ones, but in the beginning it was fun, now its disgusting rotten midbrain memories. Autoignition of 193c, bp of 179c, and i'm a shady fucker and will sit the flask on the bottom of the oil bath directly, shady. Needless to say a week later with no bisulfite, unwilling to try the lime cleaners/hydrosulfite-bisulfite, the blood-black/lightblocking heavy yet formidable oil(kinda like when iso goes to p2p) remains a  sole testament to some random world of bitter almonds and fancy supermarkets, its overwhelming but really very pleasant (maybe after you haven't smelled it in a week!).

Stripped tolly as best as i could, guaging imaginary progress by how rapidly the temp rose to benzaldehydes bp. it can get pretty far up there and i swear tolly is still in it (or maybe tolly is 'IN' it geometrically-kinda, like adam/eve-the rib...some shit.)

Want to distill, don't want to autoignite about600mls of bloody black death. (or break that fucking mason jar-My primary worry!) too pussy to distill it with my shady tactics, no KI, nor bisulfite, and i hate myself cuz i need to make a vacuum but i'm a custy.

ran another mno2 batch using denatured alcohol in na attempt to produce acetaldehyde so i can know how it smells. and to process as a co-precursor to the benzaldehyde. very fun stuff, i'm of very little knowledge base and am uncontrollably enslaved to the core of my conviction to learn and become, as all you smart fuckers here on the hive have.

i figure denatured will produce formaldehyde and acetaldehyde. I used a lot of mno2, maybe half a pound to 800mls den and 150ml 2-propanol anhydrous.(wanted to see if maybe it could become 2-propanal, and have maybe 3 freshy aldehydes chillin with me keeping my soul up 3 stairs more;)

Attemtps to save the runoff (assuming the water soluble portion contains the manganese sulfate have somehow become jumbled and i just kept mixing until all the color and solids were out and nothing but celite remained. the final vessel containing benzaldehyde grew as the once-again-rinsed mnso4-liquid was joined. Water rinses were quite clean but check this out!!! I check it 5 minutes ago and its almost ice cold, maybe degredation because of unhydrous conditions, i don't fuckin know nor do i care because i learned. chronic time to quit this post. later.

ps: i find distilling acetaldehyde is a pain in my fuckin ass, seeing as how all my glass is broke except a 2L flask an a 110 w/vac takeout adapter, so its gonna be ghetto, i'd let you know how the aldehyde xp comes out but you probably already know, cuz i have faith in you.

fly not slide.

algebra

Are you working off a reference for the MnO2...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 07:57:00 AM »
Are you working off a reference for the MnO2 oxidation of toluene? Thanks for the write up - good and useful information. Would be interested in any more details on the distillation of BzH from the tolly.

Feel sure you've seen it but - another prep of activated MnO2 from Manganese sulphate (cheap - gardening suppliers) and KMnO4 - bottom of

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/oxycodone.html

hest

MnO2
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 05:55:00 PM »
Are you making MnO2 ???, then read this

Post 296395 (missing)

(hest: "You need 'activated' MnO2.", Newbee Forum)