Author Topic: MeOH from race fluel  (Read 16047 times)

pablos

MeOH from race fluel
« on: October 08, 2004, 09:42:00 AM »
Assumption:
One poor Bee has already read the whole mails about nitromethane destillation from Race fluel (Papierkrann).
He has already  Nitromethan in great purity but he wants the fucked methanol to make MeI or DMS to use his fucked bromo and iodo vanilline. He knows that Nitro and Methanol forms a azeotrope. What will be the best route to become pure methanol? Distillation and washing to separate nitro from methanol with saturated brine (enough brine but no to much) or washing to separate them and then distillation of the brine/methanol solution? Is it possible to obtain this way pure methanol (nitrom free) ?thanks :-[

maj

Visit your local auto parts store. ;-)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »
Visit your local auto parts store.  ;)

pablos

of course
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »
Of course this would help assumed the antifreeze had just a littlebit more than 10% methanol, thanks for the advice.
I have 1L race fluel wich 75% is methnol and I would like this 75%, this is my problem.

bio

Na Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 02:30:00 AM »
Look in Vogel for forming the nitro salt with NaOH. It also says how much NaCl to use when distilling with water/MeOH.

r2e3

your nitro supplier
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »
will probably sell virtually pure(>99%)MeOH (nothing silica gel wont cure)

Getting nitro in my experience is more difficult than methanol.

Where are you? US EU?

maj

In my journies the only thing my local ...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »
In my journies the only thing my local supplier carried was not 10%MeOh.  It is all methyl alchol for the most part or nothing that can't be taken care of.

bong

Where are you? US EU?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 07:31:00 AM »
Where are you? US EU?

How about SWIM is in AU or China?
I am also wondering that if any bee is from China.
SWIM has a problem with all the Chinese chemical names. He only knows chemicals in their English IUPAC names. Does any bee know where I can find English to Chinese translation for chemicals names? I have UTFSE, but it seems nothing is really helpful...

pablos

Na salt
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »
Nitromethane + Naoh give the dangerous Nitrosalt very unstable. The mathanol was distilled at 64-65 grad.
Maybe there is a 3-5% nitro in it. Would thats be a problem if I tried to do MeI or DMS with it (Side reaction etc..)?

maj

Translation
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »

http://www.njstar.com/

This is a link to download free software that will get you on your translating way.  It cover chinese, japanese, and I think other eastern asian languages.

bong

Nah, the NJStart doesn't work for translating...
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »
Nah, the NJStart doesn't work for translating chemical names, maybe it is just me... :(

maj

Here we go
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »
You will have to pay for this I am pretty sure.  However, it translates according to what field you need your particular "dictionary of words ".  For instance they have chemical engineering, biology, ecology and more.  I hope this can be of some service to you.

www.allvirtualware.com/languages/ japanese_chinese

r2e3

all you need
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »
is the chemical structure of the molecule. they are depicted in a format recognised by all nations, yes IUPAC - the point being so that anyone can understand, hence the 'international' bit

lets face it, methanol isn't exactly the most complicated chemical in the world. anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of chemistry should be able to find alternative names in any language that they speak

fnord

dry gas
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »
some types of dry gas and windshield de-icer contain "asaik"95-99% MeOh