Author Topic: *-Waterless A/B Questions-*  (Read 12694 times)

ChemNewbie

Re: I would think heat would be necessary for...
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 02:08:00 AM »

I would think heat would be necessary for bicarb to baseify pseudo in the first place wouldn't it?.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Swic hasn't had very much luck as far as yields go with the carbonate in a normal A/B pseudo extraction. He has never tried heat in combination with the carb, but may do so in the near future just to see what happens.

former_chemist

carb vs. bicarb
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »
bicarb isn't basic enough to convert the HCl salt to a base, you need carbonate (made by heating bicarbonate before adding - not in the reaction mixture).  The reaction will form an amine carbonate which has to be heated to convert to the amine and CO2 and H2O.  The amount of water formed by the reaction should not have a great effect and has even been noted to speed up the reaction.  As noted previously this won't work with new formulations that have heat or solvent sensitive gakk in them.

ChemNewbie

Doh
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »
I shoulda read the other post I responded to a little closer.  I didn't realize that they were talking about heat being required for bicarb to basify pseudo HCL. I was referring to sodium carbonate specifically. I wouldn't bother trying to use bicarb to base anything anyway.