Author Topic: Alternatives for Sodium Bisulfite  (Read 8124 times)

Osmium

I'd rather do it the other way round, add a...
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 12:29:00 AM »
I'd rather do it the other way round, add a drop of your reaction solution to a little bit of starch solution.

Even if there is a minuscule amount of I2 present, it doesn't matter since the I2 will be taken care of by the standard workup procedure.

mr_pyrex

I was just re-reading the thread and something
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2003, 01:02:00 AM »
I was just re-reading the thread and something came to mind which could be of interest to those that insist on aquiring and using say- Sodium Thiosulfate.  I am not recommending using it I am just letting those interested in it know that it can be aquired through their local pool supplier, no questions asked and it should set you back no more then $15 for 1 pound.  Its purpose in the pool and spa industry is as chlorine neutralizer....usually when someone has overdosed the chlorine or bromine in their pool or spa and needs to bring the level down quickly. One of the many names they might carry it under is thiotrine.  Anyways like I said this is for those interested in aquiring it.    Pyrex out of pointers ;-)

halfkast

And open a fucking book sometimes, before you...
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 03:13:00 AM »
And open a fucking book sometimes, before you start to whine.

No matter if it is an aqueous solution of thiosulfate, sulfite or bisulfite, acidifying will always cause SO2 to evolve. Capiche?

I never said anything about using sodium sulfite for this purpose.

Solving the problem is pointless, because the problem isn't a problem, it's a temporary inconvenience corrected by the usual process.

Fuck just read Os three posts hes right in all of them.

Vitus_Verdegast

Look
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 07:29:00 AM »
I'd never throw such remark at you, Os  ::)  ;)

Look I really don't want to argue here, and I also think that Os is 200% right on this, but I suggested using Na thiosulfate in the second post in this thread, as a reply to Vaaguh's question for alternatives for Na bisulfite.

How I empictured this was washing the post-rxn organic layer with an aqueous solution of this, but I didn't realize that most people here want to recover their iodine.

amalgum

I totally forgot about people who recover...
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2003, 10:28:00 AM »
I totally forgot about people who recover their iodine.  It's definitely not something you consider when you've got like half pound of I2, plus a pound or two of KI just in case laying around.  It might be a practice SWIM will have to add to the lucid dreams.  Haven't hit the KI yet, but SWIM is down to scraping all the I2 he can get out of that bottle.