Author Topic: Ephedrine from Medical Oxygen Tanks  (Read 12584 times)

Giver_Hell

Ephedrine from Medical Oxygen Tanks
« on: April 21, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

borolithium

huh?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »
This really does not make any sense. Why would there be ephedrine in a medical grade oxygen tank? I can't see any purpose it would serve.

kris_1108

Maybee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »
I wonder if its in there to clear possible sinus congestion and to aid with breathing.. hope that doesnt sound silly.

Dragan

If it is NTP ephedrine is not gas
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »
If it in is NTP ephedrine is not gas

Rhodium

Urban legend, and a bad one
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 08:45:00 PM »
This is absurd... The only thing in oxygen gas tanks is - surprise - oxygen gas.

morpheus

E in O2 Tanks
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »
It would have to bee only "certain" tanks.
Ephedrine is bad for people with high blood pressure and
with heart problems.
Can you see the lawsuits piling up when grandma & pa
start keeling over from heart attacks when relatives find out ephedrine is in their oxygen.
Possibly a tank could be used for asthma attacks with E in it as that is one of its uses,but for people with heart related problems its a no-no.

Rhodium

also...
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
Even if the gas stream was to be medicated for whatever reason, it still doesn't make sense to fit the cartridge inside the high-pressure gas tank...

geezmeister

Special tanks
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
It is only found in special medical tanks, identifiable only by convicted felons, all of whom have done this personally on more than one occasion, and all of whom will do it again as soon as they are paroled. The company that does this, TweekersRUS, Inc., has no profit motive, but was incorporated solely for the benefit of old convicts at penal institutions by parolees of such institutions, typically tycoons with enormous investment capital at their disposal.

Scottydog

Questionable Sources
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »
I hear ya Geez!  ;D

This reminds me of the bullshit one excon used to tell Swim about a certain industrial fuse used in circuit breakers that is "supposed" to contain a shitload of RP.

People like to fabricate and make shit up as they go along to appear cool or god knows why. Cool I'll bee when I blow myself up from misinformation.

No such thing as shortcuts, if it doesn't require any real work or effort and seems too good to bee true, then it probably is.

Prisons are full of idiots who know everything there is to know about dope but yet still have to borrow a shot of coffee and a rollie so they can tell you the remainder of the story.

Cadillacs, dope, guns and hos but now they are reduced to bumming off a bum?

As for the medical tanks, if it were true then I'm sure tweekers would have been bragging about it long ago. They are probably available for sale right next to the fuses and 55lb bags of chicken feed.  ::)

elfspice

silly
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 02:05:00 AM »
I'm dubious that any salt or even the freebase of ephedrine is gonna dissolve in oxygen, for starters... I'm also dubious about how long it would survive in such a richly oxygenated environment.

if the doc or medics needs to give you some kind of bronchidialator they'll give you salbutamol most likely. That could easily be fed into the gas stream from another pressurised cylinder. If they needed to rapidly clear your sinuses i'd say you'd get a nebuliser with eucalyptus oil or camphor feeding into the respirator.

bunnyindrag

I am a non practicing RT and never do the docs
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 10:44:00 PM »
I am a non practicing RT and never do the docs prescribe an oxygen delivery system that also delivers any type of broncho-dilators etc.,Docs will prescribe an up-draft or a nebulizer a compressor motor that delivers meds via inhalation separately.  However if I am having a flare up with my asthma or COPD I will take a turbo treatment I will hook up a neb kit, add some albuturol unit dose attach it to one of my cylinders tubing and crank it up as far as my regulator will go and take a couple of deep breaths.  In the ER they will do your treatments this way as well
;)

ChemoSabe

From the Asthma Museum
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 12:50:00 AM »
Having a history as a child who got asthma regularly until puberty kicked in with a flood of extra hormones I'm still somewhat baffled as to why the old Docs never even once had me try any of the inhaler treatments. Can't forget the old Primatene Mist TV ad from the 70's.

Here's something I once picked up for novelties sake at a local swap meet where both expired OTC and non OTC prescription medications can often be found for pennies. Sometimes the bottles will actually have a name to whom the medications were initially prescribed to printed on them.

epinephrine = norepinephine = noradrenaline = the human body's own natively produced "speed"

I can see some confusion about there being a difference between ephedrine and epinephrine. Especially when their effect is so similar in the human body. Bronkaid's companion product to this one are asthma/broncodilator capsules whos active ingredient is ephedrine.

On a side note my father recently had abdominal surgery to correct something that occurred due to a mild hernia. When I picked him up from the OR he was still dazed in a post fentanyl haze. They were monitoring his vital signs to see if they thought he was stable enough to be released and they noticed that he began having an intermittant, somewhat odd heart flutter at about twice the tempo of where it should be.

I told them that is was most likely my father being socially conscious of being in the situation he was and that their concern for the problem was most likely a further and sustaining source for it. The attending nurses didn't seem to like this suggestion but when the surgeon came for his final check he agreed with me.

He said it could also be partially due to the epinephrine that he'd been given as a local anaesthetic? I knew they used pharma-coke in the form of lidocaine for this but I'd never heard of epinephrine being injected around the direct site of of incision as a local pain killer.

Oh well, I don't work in the medical industry so that's probably why it seems unfamiliar. (and why I also got my terminology wrong as Rhodium clarifies below)

Rhodium

Correct Terminology
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 01:12:00 AM »
epinephrine = norepinephine = noradrenaline

No, that is most definitely incorrect.

Norepinephine = Noradrenaline

Epinephine = Adrenaline

elfspice

it's still not in an oxygen tank
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 01:19:00 AM »
just wanted to point that out... and usually it would be administered via injection in the situation of a stopping heart in the absence of a defibrillator.

ChemoSabe

Rhodium's Chemical Museum
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »
I can't imagine that Rhodium doesn't also have some novelty items around that are of a chemical/pharmaceutical nature.

If he had his own museum of such items I would go to see it.

Hey Rhodium, didn't you say once that you actually purchased some lab grade polyethylene glycol once just for the hell of it?

Rhodium

P2P, PEG & PTC
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 01:52:00 AM »
Sure I have some collector's items - this rare bottle for example:

Post 418188 (missing)

(Rhodium: "A honey-pot", The Couch)

I have bought various polyethyleneglycols - but not without reason - they can be used as phase-transfer catalysts (

Post 427415

(Rhodium: "PEG 400 PTC", Novel Discourse)
) and PEG-400 makes for a great water-soluble oil bath fluid (

Post 379174 (missing)

(Rhodium: "PEG 400 Oil Bath", Newbee Forum)
).

fnord

lidocaine?
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »