Author Topic: 2-aminomethyl-THF/Tetrahydrofurfurylamine ->THF  (Read 1415 times)

adroit_synth

2-aminomethyl-THF/Tetrahydrofurfurylamine ->THF
« on: October 23, 2003, 10:57:00 PM »
I think the time put into UTFSE trying to find some answers on this is worth riskin the flame and puttin the post up.

SWIM ordered THF some time ago from a chemical supplier. Excited and ready to put it to use as a solvent and possibly oxidise it to GBL, SWIM was pouring some out and couldn't help but notice an ammonia-like odor. Checked out some physical/chemical properties of the mystery solvent, did some MSDS diggin and concluded it was tetrahydrofurfurylamine or 2-aminomethyl-tetrahydrofuran. The fuckers sent a different fuckin solvent! Foiled my plot.

Anyway, to cut to the chase here, can this be deaminated to yeild THF and/or GBL? If not, any known/potential clandestine uses?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Rhodium

Pretty unusable
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 07:39:00 AM »
Anyway, to cut to the chase here, can this be deaminated to yeild THF and/or GBL? If not, any known/potential clandestine uses?

Nope & nope. If they sent you the wrong thing, then you should return it to them...

adroit_synth

Thanks Rhodium
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »
That was all I needed to know. I won't bother sending it back however as I have found it has nice solvent capabilities, especially for cleaning my glassware and dissolving waxes and plastics left after distillation of any filler/binder containing matrix. I will have to find some real THF for oxidation to GBL I guess. :(