Author Topic: LWR w/ break  (Read 5379 times)

NaXen

LWR w/ break
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
Will a ~12hr reflux followed by a few hour break, followed by another 20 or so hours of reflux hurt the reaction? swim cant think of any reason why it would...
I know this has been covered in many posts, but swim cant seem to locate them.. if anybee could point SWIM in the direction of these posts it would be appreciated! thanks

buz

saving time:
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »
no.

geezmeister

why take the break?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:39:00 AM »
Why take the break?

fierceness

Swif used to take breaks because he would...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 04:05:00 AM »
Swif used to take breaks because he would always babysit the rxn to make sure something didn't happen and couldn't stay up long enough and remain sane.

NaXen

The need for the break is due to SWIM's ...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 04:24:00 AM »
The need for the break is due to SWIM's dayjob, even though the glasswear is infact glasswear (with condenser, ground glass joints, etc etc... he still doesnt trust it alone in the house..

an aside... SWIM read a thread recenty (thinks it was by Jacked) that spoke of simply putting a cotton ball in the top of the condenser in place of the classic balloon - anybody do this?

thanks for the replies!

geezmeister

Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »
After the initial production of HI, the condenser should be able to condense all the vapor from the reaction and return it to the flask. During the initial stage of the reaction where the HI is being produced, you will exceed the capacity of most condensers; I suppose you could use larger condensers, colder coolant, or a more efficient condenser; or you could use a balloon during this stage of the process.

AFter the initial HI production, and in particular if you let the wet mixture cool, the water will absorb almost all the HI (at least if you have enough water in the reaction).  From that point forward, the balloon is not necessary. A little cotton in the top will help keep the odor from escaping, and is all that is really needed.

I have done refluxes with and without the balloon after the HI production phase is over, and I tend to leave the balloon on, since it does provide some odor control. Removal of the balloon has not, in my experience, changed the final product or the yield in any way.

Jacked

yea
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 10:05:00 PM »
yea what geezs says... The little cotton ball keeps the staining I2 at bay. You will notice the bottom of the cotton ball discoloring. That keeps your walls from doing the same. Eventually nothing keeps the walls white from some reason or another but its good try.

geezmeister

washing walls
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »
An occasional wipedown with dilute bleach solution does a good job of keeping my walls white-- first time you do it the iodine on the wall may go dark gray. Just give it a little time and it will fade. At first you may need to wipe the wall several times before the color fades, but it will.  One place where I cooked for six or seven months got pretty dark, and within a hour of the bleach treatment the walls were white again.

I can't say it works on everything, but it works on walls painted with latex semi gloss enamel, and with gloss enamel, pretty damn well.

Jacked

Damn man
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »
Damn man, I got an old lady that does that, She uses a solution of sodiumthyiolsulfate (spell checker choked on that one) and water. the shit don't smell like bleach, hell it don't smell at all. That was in the old days anyway. Today walls surrounding a lab are not looked at and pondered on cleanliness just secureness.