Author Topic: reply  (Read 2791 times)

Jacked

« on: September 11, 2004, 04:56:00 AM »
Add a few ml of HCl to the solvent and watch it go to work... It even makes acetone work fast when that is used as a starting medium. Just HCl with alcohol will do the job well but agitation will be required. The important thing is time in solution like gees says. Swim has been trying to change the glues state by basifying the glue when its in an acidic solution. He's wanting to experiment with different acids but its going along slowly.. Has anyone else ever tried this?

12cheman12

Now that i come to think of it DCM aka ...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
Now that i come to think of it DCM aka methylene chloride aka dichloromethane would prob be the best solvent for cleaning RP, i reckon a bit of DCM say 40% with another solvent would work wonders. Im gonna give this a try.

But we know DCM reacts with alot of other substances

"Methylene chloride reacts with strong oxidizers, caustic substances, chemically active metals such as aluminum and magnesium powders, potassium, sodium, and concentrated nitric acid."

Does anyone know if DCM is safe with RP?

maj

rp/I
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 10:22:00 PM »
mix rp/I together . drop of water. if no smoke take a lighter and heat it a little.  Since your going to use heat in this process anyway when rxn occurs.  Should let off that smell we all love.  This is only for minute amount I mean use a fucking little bit.  This may sound a little unproffesional but when you wanna know well just improvise.

12cheman12

Thanks maj, you just stated something that was
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »
Thanks maj, you just stated something that was said about 10 times already in this thread, have you even read the thread? In my first post i said i did that. The good intention to help was there so thanks anyways :)

But does anyone know about DCM and RP? swim will prob try soon and post the results.

wareami

Being combatable with incompatibles :•þ
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 07:49:00 AM »

Somewhere there is a post by Wareami in which he describes a particular type of denatured alcohol that works very well in cleaning mbrp.

Prepuce: The denat alky's refered to listed rubber solvent as an ingredient which is believed to have contributed to the glues solvation.
At last check, those formulations are still available through major brandname hardware stores. ATF monitors those formulations which have a more stringent control over ingredient/ratio factors than the larger solvent manufacturer's.
When Ibee posted that peace...his normal process was to utilize a 70% denat, 30% acetone mix to save on tone consumption. Further experimentation revealed that he could use straight Denatured alky that included the rubber solvents without the use of acetone altogether to remove glue from MBRP. But the RP doesn't sink as fast in alcohol, so that was seen as a drawback tradeoff. But it's nice to know if no acetone is on hand.

Swim has been trying to change the glues state by basifying the glue when its in an acidic solution. He's wanting to experiment with different acids but its going along slowly.. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Jacked: I'm trying to get a concept on the application described.
If a base is added to an acidic solution it would reach an equilibrium before going basic, so I'm trying to understand if the acid is necessary at all in that case. Ibee hasn't tried this but would be willing to assist with the experimentation if you give a starting point.
As an aside. I was under the impression, falsely it turns out, that NAOH reacted with RP. Then not long ago I saw a post or a write-up that described basing the post-rxn solution without filtering the RP off first. Found that kinda odd, so a small sample was set aside and 50% NAOH solution was added to RP before washing and it did appear slightly cleaner after an acetone wash than that which was just water/acetone cleaned.

>Does anyone know if DCM is safe with RP?
cheman12:Ibee's used various paint strippers on used RP that contain DCM and never noticed any adverse rxns with the MBRP when cleaning.
Full strength DCM may prove otherwise, so bee sure to test on small amount first as It's always wise to take baby steps when venturing into unknown territory when pioneering.
Always Remember...Have FUN-Bee SAFE!

Jacked

the glue
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 02:47:00 AM »
The glues could change states enough to separate easer was the idea