The Hive > Methods Discourse

vitamin b1 to sedative?

(1/2) > >>

xxxxx:
i read someplace that sodium bisulfite is supposed to break vitamin b1 into two parts, one of which is a controlled substance (sedative). this is all i have. i don't even remember the name of the sedative, although i think the dose was 100mg. this was mentioned in pills a go-go (book) which names sedative compound and dose but chemical literature stated cleaving compound as sodium bisulfite, not compound stated in pills a go-go. can anyone confirm or deny foregoing?

Rhodium:
Yes, Vitamin B-1 can be cleaved with bisulfite:

However, the alcohol formed - 2-(hydroxyethyl)-4-methyl-thiazole - needs to have its OH group substituted with a chlorine atom before the result becomes the anxiolytic/hypnotic Clomethiazole.

Lestat:
Rhodium, would gassing with Cl2 be sufficient for the chlorination? or must some other method bee used? this sounds like an interesting synthesis.

Nicodem:
Lestat: This is a nucleopylic substitution of the alcohol to the chlorine group - not the usual chloriantion with Cl2. You need reagents like SOCl2 or PCl3. Some alcohols can bee also substituted with conc. HCl but not the primary ones like this one.

Lestat:
Hmmmm...I have to try this one, has me intrigued.
I would be quite interested in trying a nanoscale of this just to see what this stuff is like :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version