Author Topic: Sn, HCl, SnCl2 and SnCl4...  (Read 3616 times)

Organikum

Sn, HCl, SnCl2 and SnCl4...
« on: July 29, 2004, 04:12:00 AM »
My inorganic textbooks tell me that Sn reacts with HCl to form SnCl2. For to get SnCl4 it is necessary to react the SnCl2 with chlorine.

In many organic textbooks I find:
Sn + HCl = SnCl2; SnCl2 + HCl = SnCl4 (not balanced)

This puzzles me.
How comes?

ORG

java

About SnCl2....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »
I read someplace also,....

.....SnCl4 needs hot tin and dry chlorine, and you condense and collect the SnCl4 vapours. Dry HCl might work too, I think, instead of chlorine.

...pop corn tin cans  dissolves in hydrochloric acid to form stannous chloride, sncl2, and in aqua regia to form stannic chloride, sncl4, and it reacts with sodium hydroxide solution to form sodium stannite and hydrogen gas

....Tin, symbol Sn, metallic element that has been used by people since ancient times. Tin is in group 14
Tin forms stannic acid, H2SnO4, when heated in air or oxygen at high temperatures. It dissolves in hydrochloric acid to form stannous chloride, SnCl2, and in aqua regia to form stannic chloride, SnCl4, and it reacts with sodium hydroxide solution to form sodium stannite and hydrogen gas. In cold and very dilute nitric acid, tin dissolves to form stannous nitrate and ammonium nitrate; in concentrated nitric acid, it produces metastannic acid, H2SnO3. Stannous sulphide, SnS, is yielded as a dark brown precipitate by the action of hydrogen sulphide on a solution of stannous chloride. Stannic sulphide, SnS2, is produced by passing hydrogen sulphide through a solution of stannic salt. The two hydroxides of tin, Sn(OH)2 and Sn(OH)4, are produced by adding a soluble hydroxide to solutions of stannous and stannic salts. Stannous oxide, SnO, a black insoluble powder, is obtained by heating stannous oxalate in the absence of air. In the presence of air, stannous oxide burns to form the dioxide, or stannic oxide, SnO2, a white insoluble solid. The dioxide may also be prepared by heating stannic acid or by heating tin metal in air at high temperatures.

..... Sn + 2Cl2 --> SnCl4;  Pb + Cl2 --> PbCl2
     The O.N. of Sn & Pb in SnCl4 & PbCl2 are +4 & +2 respectively.
     The principal reactions of Sn exhibit the group valency of 4 & thus the O.N.        of Sn in its compound is +4. The Sn compounds with oxidation state of +4 are        more stable than those of +2. Lead tends to form 2-valent compounds because of      the inert pair effect of its 2 outer s-electrons. These compounds show the O.N.      of +2 for Pb. They are more stable than those of +4 for Pb.

I hope this helps...........java

calcium

'pop corn tin cans'
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »
No! No! No!

Tin cans are steel, plated w/ tin to make them non-reactive with the food contained within. Since other coatings are now available, tin plated food cans are rare.

'Tin cans'and 'tins' are steel. Pure tin is not expensive and not hard to find.

gsus

the obvious
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »
a book would never leave out an important detail, would it?

my somewhat educated guess is that the part left out is NO-(2,3), ClO-(1,2,3), or SO2. at least those are the old ways, from those 2 precursors. you already thought of this, i know.

and i am really guessing- Br2, I2, HBrO3, HIO3, SbCl5, FeCl3, KMnO4, MnO2, Cr+6...you see what i'm thinking here.

Organikum

And thats the point: Over and over again I...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »
And thats the point:
Over and over again I read onto reactions with tin that  Sn reacts first with HCl to SnCl2 which reacts further with more HCl to SnCl4. And nothing with other compounds. Just like this.

Do I have to wave a magic wand inscripted "organic" to make this happen or what?

gsus

Stephen reduction?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »
are these books talking about something like OS CV 3, 626?:

RCN + anhy. SnCl2 + 2 HCl(g), in Et2O ->[RCNH]+[HSnCl4]-

HCl -> [RCHNH2]2+[SnCl6]-
+H20 -> RCHO

java

SnCl4.......stability
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »

......The Sn compounds with oxidation state of +4 are  more stable than those of +2

........I think this is the reason, hence it may go to SnCl2 but ultimately will be more stable as SnCl4