Author Topic: Wacker oxidation workup doubts  (Read 1455 times)

wolfx

Wacker oxidation workup doubts
« on: November 10, 2003, 06:07:00 PM »
I would like if possible to understand better the reasons for the several steps used after the Wacker oxidation. I would expose what I have been thinking about it, please correct me if and wherever I am wrong.

Filtering removes the PdCl2 catalyst.

Pouring the reaction contents in the 10 % HCl dilutes the DMF and creates a two phase solution, water + DMF on top, ketone on the bottom. Next we extract the watery layer with DCM and combine.

One question, why the HCl ? If using only H2O, same effect ?

Now, what about hydroquinone and p-benzo ? I think we have some of each mixed in with ketone, DCM and black tar.

Looks like both p-benzo and hydroquinone do not react with acids, it this correct ? I know hydroquinone is supposed to be removed with the NaOH washes. Same for any remaining p-benzo ? Does p-benzo reacts with NaOH as well ? What are the end products of the p-benzo + NaOH, hydroquinone + NaOH reactions ?

One last question, I have seen several times this asked, never answered : What is the reason for the sodium bicarbonate and brine washes ?

scram

"Filtering removes the PdCl2 ...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 10:45:00 PM »
"Filtering removes the PdCl2 catalyst."
I wish you good luck trying that! Unless you do the filetering after the addition of NaOH.

Rhodium

UTFSE
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 01:05:00 AM »
One question, why the HCl ? If using only H2O, same effect ?

Decomposing intermediates into the desired end product. Follow the instructions.

What is the reason for the sodium bicarbonate and brine washes

Removing undesired contaminants (DMF, Salts) and pre-drying the solution.

Post 394075 (missing)

(pHarmacist: "Washing with brine", Newbee Forum)