Author Topic: Photostability of isosafrole  (Read 1888 times)

Vibrating_Lights

Photostability of isosafrole
« on: June 07, 2002, 09:23:00 AM »
It is recommended to keep isosafrole in an opaque bottle.  So what happens if one were to set some isosafrole out in a clear container in direct sunlite.  What would happen to the molocule?  There must be a reason that it is stored dark.
VL_

PrimoPyro

Polymerization
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2002, 02:22:00 PM »
I bet it would start to polymerize, and maybe even oxidize.

Ultraviolet light will also degrade the methylenedioxy ring, although only minutely if it is pure iso with no impurities. (impurities = "degradation catalysts")

PrimoPyro

Vibrating_Lights

polymerize
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2002, 08:18:00 PM »
Say there is no oxygen available.  Why would it polymerize. What exactly is happening.

Rhodium

The double bond opens, forming a free radical ...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2002, 12:35:00 AM »
The double bond opens, forming a free radical generated by the UV, then this adds to the alkene part of another moleculem, and then it goes on reacting like that. Google for free-radical polymerization.

Osmium

I don't think that radical polymerisation takes ...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2002, 01:19:00 AM »
I don't think that radical polymerisation takes place. As far as I know allyl- and propenylbenzenes are pretty inert to that kind of reaction.
If at all some dimerisation or trimerisation will happen forming some unsymmetrical end product.
But I think all that decomposition talk is overrated, I doubt that much decomposition will happen at all (as long as oxygen is kept out). It might change colour and appearance over time, but pretty much all of the saf/iso should survive long storage times under less than favorable conditions.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

Vibrating_Lights

Thanks that is what i wanted to hear
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2002, 03:44:00 AM »
RE:
-----------------------------------------------
The double bond opens, forming a free radical generated by the UV, then this adds to the alkene part of another molecule.
------------------------------------------------
Thanks
8)  ;)
VL_