Author Topic: Methysticins methylenedioxyphenyl moiety n2 MDA?  (Read 3730 times)

quaero_quero61

Methysticins methylenedioxyphenyl moiety n2 MDA?
« on: October 04, 2003, 10:56:00 AM »
Can't help but notice the methylenedioxyphenyl moiety on the Methysticin component of Kava Kava.Hours of checking TFSE and the net but to no avail. Anybees no of a way of using this in an MDA MDMA synth??

terbium

Methylenedioxy everywhere, but not a drop to drink
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 11:25:00 AM »
You could oxidize it to piperonal but this would not likely be easy for the average underground chemist. If one were going to do this then piperic acid from pepper would probably being a more conveniently obtained starting material than methysticin.

The 1-alkyl-3,4-methylenedioxybenzene moiety is not uncommon in nature. It is also found in some plant lignins and production of piperonal from pulping of these lignins may also have been discussed here.

The next problem is that once you have piperonal, the most direct route to MDA or MDMA requires nitroethane which is difficult to acquire.

GC_MS

Phenylpropanoids
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 02:07:00 AM »
The synthesis of phenylpropanoids makes part of the shikimic acid pathway. Phenylpropanoids with 4-OH, 4-OMe, 3-MeO-4-OH, 3,4-MeOH, 3,4-OH are very common. Methylenedioxyrings are less common but usually can still be found in a majority of plants. However, not all substances bearing methylenedioxyrings can be used as piperonal/(iso)safrole precursor, since methylenedioxy-bearing compounds are often applied as (neo)lignane, alkaloid, flavanoid, ... construction block. Go to a library and look for books on plant biosynthesis and the like. Going through these books for a handful of hours is usually enough to understand it is not as easy as 1-2-3...  ;)

Shikimic acid pathway:

Biosynthesis of methylchavicol/eugenol in sweet basil:

3,5-diMeO-4-OH is also very common...  ;)

quaero_quero61

Methylenedioxy and Methysticin
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks Terbium and GC_MS for your responses! I guess my Question was too simplistic. Bee nice if MDA or MDMA were possible from methysticin but I realize there are easier ways. I was really thinking more along the lines of increasing activity of the methysticin by addition. In a paper Shulgin wrote for the UN ODC in 1973 {Issue 2-007}Shulgin mentions additions made on the ethylene bridge between the two rings has led to no increase in potency.Further he mentions, "Homologues of mythysticin have been studied as well. The substitution of a variety of groups on the tertiary carbon connecting the ethylene link with the dihydropyrone ring, yielded compounds without pharmacological interest. On the other hand, the replacement of the methoxy- group of methysticin with an ethoxy group (ethysticin) seems to provide an active material [4] that has been studied in man." I am unable to find the study he mentions and wondered what the effects of this ethysticin are. I am also curious of any other research being conducted on Kavalactones if any bee could please point a novice in the right direction!?
Love Kava already but interested in ways of possibly improving it.
By the way in a dream the traditional Kava drink prepared with several grams of added GHB was highly enjoyable, as well as pain relieving!!

SPISSHAK

you are confusing chemical cousins here.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
you are asking advice on two diferent chemical classes, A: the kavalactones and thier ring expansion derivatives and then you want input on ring substituted phenylethyl (or phenyl-iso-propylamines), we chem heads like to expound on one class at a time in order to fully dissect your curiousity.
take your inquiries in order please?

quaero_quero61

Not confused just ignorant
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 07:47:00 PM »
Spisshack I'm not confused just ignorant and not a chemist. I full well realize Methysticin is composed of a Methylenedioxy connected with a lactone.Shoot take your pick I'm just interested in any work being done or knowledge on souping this thing up from either end!