Author Topic: Benzal chloride  (Read 8238 times)

Osmium

Yup, not my fault that you Americans spell it all ...
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2002, 05:34:00 PM »
Yup, not my fault that you Americans spell it all wrong!

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

Elementary

I can't seem to find any references to ...
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2002, 06:14:00 PM »
I can't seem to find any references to hypochloride salts in any of my books, do these salts really exist ?

Nobodys home

Rhodium

Hypochlorites
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2002, 06:49:00 PM »
No, that was a misspelling - Os meant "hypochlorite".

alchemy_bee

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2002, 04:26:00 AM »
Can 3,4-(Methylenedioxy)toluene be subed in to make 5-chloro-1,3-benzodioxole in the procedure described that uses Cl2?

Can a bee be visa vis its entity when half a bee philosophically must ipso facto half not be?

Rhodium

3,4-Methylenedioxytoluene
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2002, 01:54:00 PM »
If you substitute the toluene with 3,4-Methylenedioxytoluene the product is 3,4-Methylenedioxybenzyl chloride, not 5-chloro-1,3-benzodioxole (which has no methyl group).

SideArm

Benzal Chloride, and Benzaldehyde's Hidden Power
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2002, 02:11:00 AM »
I'm pseudonymous. I wear these shades ?O^O? so people won't see how incognito I am.

I had 100 g benzal chloride on hand. I put it in a 1000 ml RB flask, with 500 ml water and 120 g Ca(OH)2, slaked lime, and refluxed for 4 hours, then steam distilled the benzaldehyde. It proves out one of the assertions made in this thread; unfortunately, things happened in the run to make yield suffer, and the the initial oil separation from underneath the water layer amounted to only 22.9 g of benzaldehyde. Well, it doesn't seem enough to go on to the next stage of what I wanted to prove, under my working conditions, so it needs to bee supplemented. Benzaldehyde can also be made by the MnO2 / H2SO4 oxidation of benzyl chloride or toluene itself, and of course by partial oxidation of benzyl alcohol. Benzal chloride, topic of this thread, is the old industrial standard predecessor of benzaldehyde, which is available from benzal chloride by hydrolysis either acid or basic.

Instead of the direct chlorination of toluene, my benzal chloride was brewed in a glass coffeepot, with "saran" stretched over the top to provide refluxing, or let's say retard evaporation of toluene, in a mix of 1:1.66 toluene to calcium hypochlorite by mass. (This was after US 1280612

Post 36700

(CHEM_GUY: "Re: benzyl chloride from hypochlorite salts", Chemistry Discourse)
which tells how to make benzyl chloride in a coffeepot outdoors, with a 1:1 ratio of toluene to Ca hypochlorite.) The rxn calls for close temperature control, so use your hotplate. Preferred temperature for the patentee was just over 100°, but for us 90° is better, and our coffeepot run lasts several hours, instead of just an hour. Do not let the toluene reach its actual boiling point, or you have got a thermal runaway, bad smoke, might break glass or give other problems. Allow a moderately vigorous reaction, approximately 75° climbing to 95°. For benzyl chloride it produces just under the 30% conversion of toluene claimed in the patent. Increase the proportion of pool shock tablets to toluene for a benzal chloride run, and there is a higher conversion, but you have toluene and all three chlorinated derivatives for later fractionation.

Now let's pay a little closer attention to what benzaldehyde can do for us: prepare for a surprise. Benzaldehyde condensed with acetaldehyde gives cinnamaldehyde. But that ain't the point. The point: Benzaldehyde chlorinated gives benzoyl chloride. Is that ticking sound coming from inside your head?

Say we need something dry, say this is acetic anhydride. Dick's Practical Receipts (1872)

Post 302737 (missing)

(bocuse: "Nice Old Acetic Anhydride Synth", Chemistry Discourse)
suggests reacting benzoyl chloride with dry (fused, powdered) sodium acetate to enable distilling off acetic anhydride. We have a door open here. This discussion continues in

Post 304734 (missing)

(SideArm: "Why Benzoyl Chloride", Chemistry Discourse)

flipper

Benzyl/Benzal chloride
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2002, 01:15:00 PM »
Benzyl chloride.    
Niki, Senji.  (Japan).    Japan. Kokai  (1977),
JP  52111520  Patent  written in Japanese.

Abstract
Cl (146 kg) was introduced into a mixt. of 330 kg PhMe and 3 kg red P over 9 h at 90-5.5° and the mixt. stirred 1 h to give 172 kg PhCH2Cl (purity 99.5%).

If the molar ratio is 1:1 then there is 20 Kg too much Cl used.
When I wanna have Benzal Chloride is the molar ratio 1:2 or not???  ::)  
Say for Benzyl Chloride 330 Kg of Toluene reacting with 126,974 of Cl.
For Benzal Chloride 330 Kg of Toluene reacting with 253,95 Kg of Cl. Is this rite???

Elementary
(Hive Addict)
05-01-02 17:36

Post 303804

(Elementary: "Benzyl Chloride 2 Benzaldehyde", Chemistry Discourse)

Benzyl Chloride 2 Benzaldehyde       

If the end product that you require is benzaldehyde then this can also be made from benzyl chloride :

Benzyl chloride is boiled under reflux for several hours with a solution of cupric nitrate or lead nitrate, when hydrolysis and oxidation occurs:

C6H5.CH2Cl + H2O = C6H5.CH2OH + HCl
C6H5.CH2OH + O = C6H5.CHO + H2O

A stream of carbon dioxide is usually passed through the mixture to remove oxides of nitrogen. The benzaldehyde is extracted with ether, dried with anhydrous calcium chloride, and distilled. If necessary it can be purified further by forming a crystalline addition compound with sodium bisulphite and distilling this with dilute sulphuric acid.

Please tell me more. Looks easy.

This is example 1 from

Patent GB 899953

(http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/viewer?PN=GB899953&CY=gb&LG=en&DB=EPD)

To 700 parts of distilled Benzal Chloride there was added 2 parts by weight of anhydrous zinc chloride and the two were mixed thoroughly with stirring while heating to 105-110°C. When the reaction mixture has reached 105-110°C addition of water begun on a slow rate while maintaining a temperature of 110-120°C. The addition of water was continued untill a total of 85 parts by weight of water had been added (approximately 5% excess) at which time the evolution of HCl ceased. Reaction temp was maintained for another hour to be sure all the HCl had been removed, and the Benzaldehyde had been removed by vacuum distillation. The yield of Benzaldehyde recovered at non-distillation 95% of theory and the purity better than 96,5%

Prep of Chlorine gas by Eleusius

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/eleusis/chlorine.html)

You've gotta love me.