Author Topic: Trimethoxy Nitropropene questiontrianglecrescent  (Read 2925 times)

gruns

Trimethoxy Nitropropene questiontrianglecrescent
« on: September 02, 2004, 05:08:00 AM »
I apologize in advance, bowing and scraping in the usual manner befitting such
an excellent example of an individual in possession of
an extra 23rd chromosome.... but....

I'm having problems with the nitrite/urushibara TMA-2 synth, specifically with the catalyst activation.  I am unable to obtain 40% acetic and am not entirely sure
about the process of activation.  Can I use 28% for this?
What about the use of HCl? Dear antibody, you have
mentioned using "a few ml's" of HCl after precipitation, which you weren't even sure was done, with reasonable success.  Could you or someone else perhaps codify the activation process in terms of its purpose and required conditions?

I have been successful in my attempts with nitropropene production without the use of vacuum disillation (in comparable yields to signor Antibody, I might add), but my attempts at using the catalyst have resulted in a thick red liquid... the red part eventually attached itself to the bottom of the flask and a viscous yellow liquid remained, which salts into mildly active ... Sodium Chloride.... Did I mention that I don't have access to toluene either?  (I tried heptane, which failed wildly for reasons probably due to my large forehead and thick fingers... but I digress..)

Someone please either attempt for reasons entirely related to generosity to answer my diffuse question, or delete this thread in deference to the fragile minds of the other newbees.

Thank you.
Gruns
MCSE, CCIE, Evil Smurf, MOUS