Author Topic: palladium tests  (Read 2437 times)

amalgum

palladium tests
« on: February 05, 2003, 07:23:00 AM »
I have a couple of peices of metal that I seriously suspect to be palladium.  Is there any type of tests I can perform to be sure of it's true nature (melting point tests are out of the question, as I don't think my heating mantle will suffice)?

carboxyl

I don't think there are any simple chemical...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 08:43:00 AM »
I don't think there are any simple chemical tests that would verify it as palladium. You might try using a small amount to prepare some PdCl2 and analyize that based on color etc to see if you have the real deal.

epistemologicide

take it to a jeweller
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »
take it to a jeweller

amalgum

jeweler
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 09:40:00 AM »
Thanx for the help.  Gonna take it to a jeweler in town tomorrow.  It's silvery white, it's crystal pattern appers to be somewhat cubic, and it doesn't appear tarnished at all.  So so far every thing is looking good.  The metal is moderately heavy for it's size.  I hope it is palladium.  Let me see if my digicam has fresh batteries.  I'll see about posting a pic.

amalgum

hydrogen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 09:25:00 PM »
Maybe I can build some type of electrolytic cell and use it for the cathode, then weigh it afterward to see how much H2 it absorbed?

amalgum

damn
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

foxy2

Maybe I can build some type of electrolytic...
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2003, 10:17:00 PM »

Maybe I can build some type of electrolytic cell and use it for the cathode, then weigh it afterward to see how much H2 it absorbed?

If you had a balance capable of that then you would bee able to afford to buy the palladium.  I'm not even sure if there are balances that could measure it.

amalgum

well
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2003, 11:36:00 PM »
I can afford to buy the palladium.  I don't even really need it for anything in particular right now.  It would just be nice if it was.  Cause then I wouldn't have to spend a couple hundred on an once.  It came from some of my Uncles old organic chem supplies.