Author Topic: A modification of Beaker´s method for 2C-H  (Read 15632 times)

Barium

A modification of Beaker´s method for 2C-H
« on: May 30, 2002, 07:05:00 PM »
Call me a sissy ::)  but I like to avoid ethers anytime I can. And now I´ve found a way of avoiding THF in a otherwise good procedure.

2,5-Dimethoxynitrostyrene is reduced by sodium borohydride to 1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane. A reduction which has given many people gray hair prematurely. In theory it is simple and straightforward, but in practice it can be a great way to make tar. >:(

Beaker found a method(my guess is from synthetic communications, 886-887, 1985.) and modified it slightly.
The authors tried 1,4-dioxane, THF, various mixtures of MeOH, EtOH or i-PrOH and said ethers, as well as the not too good chloroform/IPA/sillica gel. Beaker settled for THF since it is more readily avalible than 1,4-dioxane which the authors choosed.

It seems like neither the Indian authors or Beaker tried ethylacetate. I did!!.... ;D

In a two-neck 250ml rb flask with a egg shaped stirbar containing 40ml EtOAc and 10ml denaturated EtOH(1), 3.63g(95mmol)NaBH4 is added in one portion. The flask is immersed in a 10 deg C cooling bath. A 4-bulb Allihn condenser(2), with cold tap water running through it, is inserted in the central neck and a thermometer in the side neck. Let the temperature drop to 15 deg C and start add 5g(24mmol)2,5-dimethoxy-beta-nitrostyene in 0.5g portions to the borohydride suspension. Keep the temperature between 20 and 30 deg C during the addition, which takes some 15 minutes. When all nitrostyrene has been added allow the reaction mixture stir for another 20 minutes.
Add 50ml cold water to the reaction mixture and stir for a couple of minutes. Transfer the mixture to a 500ml separation funnel and remove the bottom aquoeous layer(3). Add another 50ml portion of cold water, shake, allow to separate and remove bottom layer. Add a third portion of 25ml cold water and dropwise 50% aq. acetic acid untill gas evolution ceases. One might need to shake it now and then to bring the aqueous layer in contact with some borohydride still remaining on the walls. When no more gas is evolved add 50ml brine, shake, let separate and remove the bottom layer. Now you will have a bright yellow solution of the phenylnitroalkane in some wet EtOAc, dry with some MgSO4 and strip off the solvent to give a yellow oil. Yield 4.94g(98%) 1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane, purity 97%(HPLC).

(1) If possible choose ethanol not denaturated with ketones. However the small content of acetone, MEK or other ketones does not interfer with the reaction sine they are reduced before the nitrostyrene is  added. The ketone content in regular denaturated ethanol is normally between 4-5%. If the only option is a ketone denaturation, calculate how much borohydride will be consumed and make the necessary correction.

(2) The reason for using a condenser is to minimise the loss of solvent carried along by the evolved hydrogen.

(3) This solution contains quite a bit of unreacted borohydride. Don´t just throw it down the drain. Kill the borohydride with some aq. acid first.

This method has been used up to 0.2 mol scale without complications.

Sunlight

Good !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 07:17:00 PM »
It sounds very well, not huge volumes, very good yields... and not THF , very good !!!

Barium

Well thank you sunlight.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 07:20:00 PM »
Well thank you sunlight. I´m pretty happy with it myself.. ;)

Antibody2

nice to have options
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 08:10:00 PM »
nice going barium

as well as the not too good chloroform/IPA/sillica gel. not too good is right

Sunlight

solid nitro
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »
So you just added the solid nitro to the NaBH4 suspension, is it ok ? Did you powdered it before ?
If it works as you say perhaps we have a good kitchen method for mescaline and nitropropene rdxn, fine.

Azarius

:)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2002, 02:07:00 AM »
Thankyou for this valuable contribution. I have 2 Qs:

1. What made you choose EtOH over IPA?

2. Would adding a small amount of dessicant (MgSO4?) to the rxn mixture improve yields?

Azarius

Barium

Toluene can be used
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2002, 01:49:00 PM »
Sunlight: Yes it was added dry. No need to ground it up. EtOAc is a good solvent for nitrostyrenes.

Azarius: Borohydride reacts with the alcohol to form the corresponding alkyloxyborohydride, which is the actual reducing agent. Ethanol reacts and forms mono-, di- or tri-ethoxyborohydride more easily than IPA(steric hindrance or not acid enough?). MeOH reacts too good with borohydride to be useful here.

Nah, I don´t see any reason to use any drying agent during the reaction. The water present will just protonate the nitronate intermediate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried the same reaction with toluene instead of EtOAc, and it seems to work just as fine. The only drawback is that more toluene than EtOAc is needed, about 50% more, because the nitronate intermediate REALLY comes out as it is formed.

Barium

Another reduction method
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2002, 03:26:00 PM »
To 4g(19mmol) 1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane dissolved in a mixture of 20ml MeOH, 10ml water and 10ml glacial acetic acid, 8,03g(76mmol) sodium hypophosphite and 50mg 5%Pd/C wetted with MeOH, was added. This was heated in water bath at 50 deg C and stirred until gas evolution ceased(approx 1.5 hours).
The catalyst was removed by filtration through celite and the filtrate acidified to pH2 with dil. HCl. MeOH was removed in a rotovap and the residue was made alkaline(pH12)and extracted with toluene(2x25ml). The solvent was dried with MgSO4 and gassed with dry HCl.
Yield 3.1g 2C-H*HCl(75.1%) :P
Purity will be checked and identity confirmed tomorrow.

hest

Good
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2002, 04:00:00 PM »
Damm good work Barium. I'm impressed.

Lilienthal

Coooooool!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2002, 04:26:00 PM »
Coooooool!!!! But do you have analytical data that shows that you don't have an intermediate (like the nitro-ethane, the hydroxylamine, or whatever)?

Sunlight

Good good good
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2002, 08:57:00 PM »
Nice news. Confirm the purity, personally I'm sure it's 2CH.

Azarius

:D
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2002, 12:30:00 AM »
Most impressive indeed :) However, I was under the impression that nitroalkanes can bee easily reduced to the corresponding amines via CTH @rtp with just HCOONH4 and Pd/C, as in the ref. below. Could somebee pls tell me if this would be another viable redn. procedure for this nitroalkane?

S Ram & R E Ehrenkaufer. A General Procedure for Mild Rapid Reduction of Aliphatic and Aromatic Nitro Compounds Using Ammonium Formate as a Catalytic Hydrogen Transfer Agent. Tetrahedron Letters 25(32), 3415-3418 (1984).

To a stirred suspension of an appropriate nitro compound (5 mmol) and 10% Pd-C (0.2 - 0.3 g) in dry methanol (10 mL), anhydrous ammonium formate was added (23 mmol) in a single portion. The resulting reaction mixture (slightly exothermic and effervescent) was stirred at room temperature for 3-40 min under argon, the catalyst was removed by filtration through a celite pad and washed with dry methanol (10 mL). The filtrate was evaporated either under reduced or at normal pressure. The resulting residue was triturated with water (10 mL - 25 mL), product was extracted with an organic solvent (i.e. ether, DCM or chloroform) and dried over Na2SO4. The organic layer on evaporation gave the desired amino derivative. Some products were directly converted into the HCl-salt with ethereal-HCl without evaporation of ether layer.

Many thanks,
Azarius

Barium

Well..
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2002, 01:04:00 PM »
Hest: Thanks

Lilienthal: I started with the nitroethane obtained by the modified borohydride reduction.
Aliphatic hydroxylamines are quite tough to got unless you use borane as the reducing agent.
This is just a simple transfer hydrogenation with hypophosphite as the hydrogen donor so it should not be particulary different than a CTH with formate.

Sunlight: It will be confirmed ASAP.

Azarius: The authors use a HUGE amount of catalyst so I´m not surprised they get the job done. I´m more into using more practical amounts of those noble metal catalysts. It has been my experience that aromatic nitro compounds are almost too easy to reduce, but aliphatic nitros are a bit tougher since they have a lower affinity for the catalyst. I also want to explore other hydrogen donors than ammonium formate in CTH.

foxy2

yes but...
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2002, 07:26:00 PM »

I also want to explore other hydrogen donors than ammonium formate in CTH.

How about exploreing some unlisted hydrogen donors.
:P

Nice piece of work  :)
Keep em comin!
Foxy

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

PrimoPyro

How 'bout hydrazinium borohydride?
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2002, 02:10:00 AM »
How 'bout hydrazinium borohydride? I bet that would be a good hydrogenator.  :P

Rhodium

Great work Barium!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2002, 01:17:00 AM »
Great work Barium! I'll incorporate any future comments/modifications into the document below:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/nitrostyrene.nabh4.reduction.html

Barium

Another substrate
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2002, 11:46:00 AM »
The same procedure was used to make 1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane from 3,4,5-trimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene. The only difference was that I allowed the temperature to rise to 45 deg C when 2/3 of the nitrostyrene had been added. Otherwise the reaction would have taken a long time due to the poor solubility of the substrate in the solvent. Will try again with toluene as solvent. The following amounts was used;

23,9g (0,1 mol) 3,4,5-trimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene
15,2g (0,4 mol) NaBH4
200ml EtOAc
40ml EtOH

Yield 23,5g (97,5%) phenylnitroalkane as a colorless solid.
Purity 98% by HPLC

Sunlight

You got it !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2002, 11:55:00 AM »
I hope I can have soon the time to follow your steps. This is a very noticeable discovering.
Acording woth some info KrZ gave time ago, the best solvent for styrenes is just AcOEt, probably it is the best choice.

Barium

Another one
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2002, 04:12:00 PM »
This time I tried to reduce 1-(2-fluorophenyl)-2-nitropropene (just happened to have some on the shelf) to the saturated phenylnitropropane.

4,15g NaBH4 stirred happily in 50ml EtOAc and 10ml EtOH at 15 deg C.
5g 1-(2-fluorophenyl)-2-nitropropene was added in small portions. Be careful here!!
The first 250mg or so caused a violent bubbling, much more than the earlier ones. The temp rose 8 deg from that small portion. Wierd! When 1/3 had been added the suspension turned to a thick white paste which had to be diluted with more EtOH. So another 10ml EtOH was added. Kept on adding happily, but kept a close eye on the temp. When 2/3 was added, another 10ml EtOH had to be added. Paste again!! The total amount of EtOH added was 30ml. This will cause a problem in the workup since it will carry the ester and some product over to the water phase. This time I destroyed the borohydride with dropwise addition of diluted acetic acid to the rxn vessel. When this was done, 100ml toluene was added together with 50ml brine. The solvent layer washed two times with water, once again with brine, dried and stripped of solvents in a rotovap.
Yield; 4,3g (84,9%) 1-(2-fluorphenyl)-2-nitropropane as a clear yellow oil.
Purity; 97% (HPLC)

Barium

Bad News!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2002, 04:22:00 PM »
I got my reference sample of 2C-H today. When I compared the 2C-H I made with the reference sample they did NOT compare at all. I made something by the CTH but it was not 2C-H...
Rest assure that I will devote this entire weekend to crack this nut.