Author Topic: Pest control chemicals in synthesis?  (Read 3642 times)

Flip

Pest control chemicals in synthesis?
« on: August 13, 2002, 09:21:00 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about this, but a friend of mine who works for a large pest control company has recently gained trusted access to an unmonitored chemical warehouse.  I already have a tight hookup on N2 cylinders.  But I was wondering what other chemicals a pest control company would hold in stock that would be useful in synthesis.  My friend said that he was to nervous to get me any kind of inventory listings, and that he would have to know what it is he was looking for so he could be in and out before anyone noticed him.  I hate to have a friend put his job on the line, but....i mean......like I said.......I already have a tight hookup on N2 cylinders. :)

Flip

"I like you, but I wouldn't want to see you working with subatomic particles."

foxy2

Lol
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 09:45:00 AM »
N2 cylinders are nothing!

Tell them you have a keg of stout and you want to charge it with N2.  Bam, easy.  Hell even get a keg of stout, mmm tastey beer and N2.

I doubt there is much of interest, but who knows.
Google will tell you

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Flip

Damn straight
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2002, 11:02:00 AM »
I've learned more from Google than I ever did in school.  Nobody talks shit about Google.

carboxyl

Re: Pest Chemicals
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 06:08:00 PM »
I was reading the ingrediants on a can of some bug spray the other day and the active ingredient ~1% was an ester of piperonal. I forget which one, but he might look out for the such.

The above post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to "real-life" is purely coincidental.

hCiLdOdUeDn

I have tried to find an msds for louse powder ...
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 06:30:00 PM »
I have tried to find an msds for louse powder which is suppose to contain x% of piperonal. The spray form is only 1-2% piperonal like carboxyl said...the powder form is still unknown.

hcildoduedn

Anansi

Pesticide Chemicals.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2002, 06:47:00 PM »
If you are thinking of piperonyl butoxide, which is in lots of bugsprays, it is a very common activating agent added to pyrethrin insecticides.

I'm sure it has been mentioned here before, and written off as pretty much useless for our purposes.

...Anansi

carboxyl

Yes, that is exactly what it is.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 07:15:00 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what it is.

The above post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to "real-life" is purely coincidental.

terbium

Methyl bromide.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 04:15:00 AM »
The only thing that I can think of is methyl bromide. They used to use large quantities of that in fumigation but I think that it is pretty much banned now cause it eats the ozone layer.

Flip

Heh
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2002, 04:33:00 AM »
Yeah it's really kind of funny you said that as today I learned that very fact in some of the research I have been doing.  Nitrous oxide also catalytically destroys 03, as well as OH radicals, chlorine, and bromine.  If this wasn't an off the fly fact I think that you and I might share a potential research interest.  But back to the topic i'm probably not going to be asking anyone to steal or misplace anything from anyone on my behalf.  It was just a curiousity and you all know how curiousities go.  Thanks for the suggestions,

Flip

Buster_Hymen

>The only thing that I can think of is methyl ...
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2002, 02:09:00 AM »
>The only thing that I can think of is methyl bromide.
>They used to use large quantities of that in fumigation
>but I think that it is pretty much banned now cause it
>eats the ozone layer.

Yes, it's been banned from most agricultural uses here in the U.S. for that reason. It's still used in a few applications though, but only because certain special interests have lobbied congress and said they'd suffer tremendous financial losses if they had to stop using it right away. Not sure, but I think even THEY have to phase it out over a period of several years.

The strawberry farmers around here are bitching and moaning about how much MORE it's going to cost them to grow strawberries without their beloved methyl bromide.

\\|//
    ô¿ô    --  Anger management? Fuck that!
    \O/
      '''

jimwig

extremely low dilutions on pesticides, even in ...
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2002, 06:55:00 PM »
extremely low dilutions on pesticides, even in the anti-acetylcholesternase phophite esteres not that you would want to ingest those.
there's a "enviromentally friendly" bug spray that has a small amount of eugenol in it-- big f----- deal!

obia

pest control stuff thats useful
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2002, 10:28:00 PM »
cyanides as in rodent killer usually 96% sodium cyanide has some uses..making phenylacetonitriles for example
the zinc phosphide rodent killer is a useful source of phoshine which in turn is really useful for making alkyl phosphines as catalyst ligands and reducing agents. it also can be used to make the G series neve agents (sarin soman and cyclosoman) but these are hardly recreational.  :)
I'm sure if you had a long list then there are plenty more interesting compounds used as pesticides