Author Topic: Good Price? Tell Me, Ok?(Nitromethane)  (Read 1973 times)

Shambhala

Good Price? Tell Me, Ok?(Nitromethane)
« on: July 20, 2000, 08:35:00 AM »
Nitromethane   99.5%
     $11.27 Per Quart
     $10.48 Per Case(Quart)
     $29.67 1gal (Single)
     $26.57 5gal gal.(Per Gal).
     $24.50 55gal(Per Gal)

From 10 minutes of searching this seems to me to appear reasonable..  Should I continue my search(can I do better)?  Looking at 1-5gallons.

chemicalE

Re: Good Price? Tell Me, Ok?(Nitromethane)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2000, 09:00:00 AM »

method

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2000, 07:57:00 PM »
Yes those are pretty good prices. SWIM gets his nitromethane from a friend who sells race fuel. The wholesale price he pays is $24 when buying a single gallon. The price you got isn't much over a wholesale price. Don't forget though, shipping is quite costly on the nitro, & I'm pretty sure UPS doesn't ship it.

Antibody2

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2000, 01:46:00 PM »
UPS will ship Hazardous Materials, just not accross borders. Hefty surcharge mind you.

Life is a dream (until someone pisses in your porridge)

Lino

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
What would be a ligit use for nitroethane and where could one buy it? Some Bee once said racing fuel additive but searches come up with nothing. If anyone has a src I would be grateful if you emed me.

spric

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »
Try talking to the kind folks at a high performance auto store, somewhere that only sells racing equipment.  You can also go to the hobby shop and get some nitro to power your Team Losi truck.

senzualus

nitroethane
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2003, 01:07:00 PM »
anybody knows where (what kind of store) someone may find nitroethane ?
I mean not in U.S. in Eastern Europe(anyone there from Romania?...guess not..)
help,please

Rhodium

Nitroethane in the EU
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 01:12:00 PM »
I haven't seen Nitroethane being sold OTC anywhere in Europe, but most chem suppliers won't bat an eyelash if you order an occasional liter of it together with other "normal" base chemicals (at least not in my experience).

raffike

Yeah,but it's very expensive when bought from...
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2003, 12:52:00 AM »
Yeah,but it's very expensive when bought from supplier.150$ for 2,5 liters.150$ is pretty much over here

Rhodium

Nitroethane pricing
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2003, 09:52:00 AM »
Oh, even Aldrich charge €90 (~$95) for 2.5L and Lancaster only €66 for the same amount. This is the 96% purity kind. I think that is pretty cheap, considering what can be done with 33 moles of the stuff.

raffike

Mine was Aldrich brand too but via local ...
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2003, 03:14:00 PM »
Mine was Aldrich brand too but via local supplier so price was bit up,but main problem lies in explaining chem supplier what the fuck are you going to do with that.Solvent is bad excuse,why would anyone want to use so expensive stuff as solvent.Suppliers over here sell gladly to individual but they want to know what it's going to be used.Sent a friend to buy chemicals from that supplier.He ordered sodium cyanide and sodium ethoxide,he got em but since he knew nothing about chemistry,they looked him pretty wierd and hoped he won't go killing somebody with that cyanide.Hope they sell him stuff next time too but i'd better come up for good excuse for needed chemical and i really don't know why would 19 year old need nitroethane.

Rhodium

Uses of nitroalkanes
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »
Order it together with 2500ml each of Nitromethane and 2-nitropropane* and in the event that someone would ask about your intended use for it, tell them that you are investigating the properties of nitroalkane mixtures (as fuel, solvent or whatever). Together with the other nitroalkanes, the context of the nitroethane changes drastically compared to if it would be ordered on its own.

* 2-Nitropropane is dirt cheap (€15/kg) and is very useful to convert halides to carbonyl compounds, such as benzyl chlorides to benzaldehydes and bromosafrole to MDP2P, see

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/halide.carbonyl.html

rudebwoy

voom voom
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2003, 10:17:00 PM »
nitromethane is mixed with methanol for fuel for remote controlled cars.
Say you own a hobby store that sells the fuel to whichever concentration depending on the remote control car's engine.  
voila.

pupilage

If you
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2003, 05:28:00 AM »
go to a hobby store for your nitro, you most likely will have to talk to the clerk about your RT car. Here is a hint for you most RT cars use the lower % nitro fuels so if you are going to buy the Higher % stuff make sure you tell the guy its for RT airplane engine use. If you tell them its for a car they will go into this long story about how you are going to be burning up your car motor and so on.
The RT boat and airplanes use the high %.
Like all things just do a little back ground work before you wind up flatfooted standing deer like in his headlamps.

raffike

Say you own a hobby store that sells the fuel...
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2003, 06:08:00 AM »
Say you own a hobby store that sells the fuel to whichever concentration depending on the remote control car's engine.
150$ a litre for fuel?No-go,i just might say that i want to test nitroethane but couldn't find any @ hobby store.