Author Topic: Extracting nicotine  (Read 4000 times)

Chromic

Extracting nicotine
« on: September 26, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
I love smoking, more over, I love the rush of nicotine.

Is there any way to extract the nicotine easily (ie no picric acid, or other hard to find chemicals) that will give me a somewhat safer smokable product (doesn't matter if it requires a pipe to smoke). I've read it's mostly the other crap in tobacco which is most dangerous.

Ideas?

terbium

Re: Extracting nicotine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
It should be available in the pesticide section of a hardware store! :)  I chew nicotine gum but it is not the same as smoking. The taste of the PolyAromatic Hydrocarbons in the smoke are half of the pleasure.

Rhodium

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
Amazonas indians use tobacco water extract enemas in certain rituals.

Ghost_Of_BT

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
Make sure to look up the MSDS before you dose! I heared it's very toxic.

foxy2

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2001, 06:34:00 PM »
Yea I read somewhere that for a non smoker three cigarettes is enought nic to kill them, one pack will definately kill ya

Do Your Part To Win The War

zooligan

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2001, 06:37:00 PM »
Very toxic indeed!  Extracting the nicotine from Red Man chewing tobacco via the method listed on some anarchists sties on the web reportedly gives you a deadly poison.  It supposedly can be administered by pouring some of the concentrated syrup in a glass that will be used for holding strong alcoholic libations and allowing it to dry.  When the liquor is poured in, it dissolves the lethal dose of nicotine.  :P

"And if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, then we'll just be bogus too!"

Chromic

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2001, 10:24:00 PM »
I obviously need it in a smokable form, but if I could smoke say 10mg extract instead of say 100mg tobacco (ie 1/4 of an average cigarette is normal for me) each time I reach for a smoke, I'm sure my lungs would breath easier.

I've read that nicotine is volatile with steam, is water really the best way to go??

Bozakium

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2001, 01:07:00 AM »
Starting with cigars, a simple water or alcohol extraction is fine for concentrating the nic. Chaw & cigarettes have much nic removed. Boil cigars, filter out leaf then boil down to a tar. Makes an excellent blow-gun dart poison for small rodents. WARNING: NICOTINE IS A CHOLINESTERASE-BLOCKING NERVE POISON. FORTY (40) TO SIXTY (60) MILLIGRAMS CAN KILL A HUMAN. Try one of the new nicotine inhalers for a prototype, and do a chromotographic or LD-50 assay to determine the strength of extract before you kill yourself by accident. Why not stick with something safe like heroin???

uemura

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
Hi Chromic!
Uemura has somewhere around a detailed procedure to get the pure nicotin from tabbacco (no picrin azid needed). If you are interested he is willing to do a deeper search for the article. May bee in german, but not sure. Let him know

Carpe Diem

cilliersb

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
Tobacco dust can be had for around $10 $15 per 10kg at any well stocked nursery.

HeHe! 8)

Chromic

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 04:30:00 AM »
>Make sure to look up the MSDS before you dose! I heared it's very toxic.

Yep!

SWIM tried a DCM extract (~500ml total) on 50g tobacco with 35ml clear household ammonia to free the nicotine. The DCM was fractionally distilled off, the remains dissolved into 15ml water, filtered 2x (again, harder than it sounds, nicotine is full of waxes/tars which are water-insoluble). (I think I should have concentrated the DCM then extracted with brine and citric acid, then basified with ammonia, and extracted with DCM, boiled off, etc. That type of acid/base could have increased the purity somewhat)

Anyways, it was loaded into a nasal sprayer that dispenses 100uL at a time. Dosage was somewhere around 5mg in that 100uL (assuming 4wt% nicotine tobacco, 50% yield). Took one shot, woah.. NASTY taste. 5 minutes later, I wanted to throw up and felt generally ill. 30 mins it peaked, 2 hrs I was back to baseline and felt OK. Yuck!

However, the most important piece of info: NO NICOTINE RUSH.

What am I doing wrong? Is smoking/IV'ing the other way? Swim wants a habit that does not include inhaling carbon monoxide.

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2002, 04:52:00 AM »

Swim wants a habit that does not include inhaling carbon monoxide.

The Simple Solution = smoke imaginary cigarettes

PB

*On second thought, you may wish to give up smoking all together; even with the "imaginary cigarettes," the friendly DEA agent following you may mistake it for code, and decide to speed up their investigations...

pickler

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2002, 05:30:00 AM »
Why no just quit smoking. If you need nicotine that bad wear some patches 2 or 3  or whatever.

We'll soon FIND OUT if I'm a chemist or not!

pandemonium

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2002, 08:36:00 AM »
You might find Lobeline, from lobelia interesting...

solutions-expensive and varied, dumb looks-still no charge

SilverSurfer

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2002, 07:08:00 PM »
Why not smoke a master size head and keep the smoke, best before u smoked the first cigarette this day.
A friend of mine was knocked out that way a few seconds (he was smoker that time).
I remember my first cigarettes made me sense the light of the street lightning in a very cool way
maybe i should quit fore a year....

Osmium

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2002, 10:45:00 PM »
I know a small dog which loves to eat cigarettes and butts. Apparently doggy ate half a pack or so recently. Apparently doggy didn't even get sick. I was taught that the amount of nicotine in one pack is enough to kill a human. And then there is this little doggy which just eats them without even barfing, or apparent signs of being sick. How can that bee?

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2002, 11:08:00 PM »
Dogs also eat shit, and sometimes lick antifreeze. They are just outright lucky animals.

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

Augustus

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2002, 08:27:00 AM »
I have read (I think) somewhere that it takes dogs much higher doses of chemicals to achieve the same effect a human would. Of course this is relative to the size of the dog and the size of the human. Not sure if it's specific to the specie of dog or not. Then again I could have thought of this while dreaming ::)

"Memory can not be defined, yet it defines mankind." -Ghost In The Shell

Osmium

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2002, 11:13:00 AM »
This is true for most small animals. But still, eating half a pack or more of cigs and no signs of toxicity? That dog must have quite some tolerance.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

Rhodium

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2002, 01:53:00 PM »
How about some nicotine analogs? Anabasine is the six-membered non-aromatic ring analog of nicotine. It appears in the plant Nicotiana Rustica, and should also be very easy to make. Anabasine is proven to be psychoactive.