Author Topic: Reflux condenser connection?  (Read 3011 times)

place

Reflux condenser connection?
« on: February 24, 2004, 11:58:00 AM »
Hi.

How do SWIM connect to Ahllin-condenser correct if SWIM is using it as reflux condenser in a E/RP/I2 reaction? SWIM plug it to the reaction flask and connect the water to the condenser, but what about on the top of the condenser? SWIM have seen pic. of ballons on top? What shall he do?

Rgs, place

clandestine

well
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
Well if you wasnt keen enough to aquire 24/40 joints (or similar) you will have to stopped the flask and use a clamp and stand... or im sure some beee has a more clever way of doing it.

If you got a stopper clamps and stand you should know what to do...  if its 24/40 joints its goes right together...  also its beneficial to have a balloon on the condenser just incase your water line fucks up or sumthing stupid so your hi gas dont fly out stick up the house and give you cancer... not to mention lower your HI percentage in the rxn.

hope this helps

place

SWIM have a stopper :-) But what would be...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 05:18:00 AM »
SWIM have a stopper  :)

But what would be best, stop the hole or put on ballons? The ballons will only be needed if SWIM fuck it up, right?

Bandil

Don't plug the hole!!! Just leave it open.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 05:35:00 AM »
Don't plug the hole!!! Just leave it open. The vapours will condense and run down. Specifically for the RP/I2/E reaction it can be a good idea to connect some tubing to the top of the condensor and run that through some kind of mini-push-pull device(dont just run a hose directly into some water, as it will suck a shitload of water back into your reactionmixture once the reaction is almost over). The sole reason for doing so it to trap those HI fumes that tends to leak from the top of the condensor. HI fumes are not very nice to be around IMO  8)

But if you smoke cigarettes anyway, you might not care about those fumes  ;)

place

Hehe.. I'm non-smoker!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 06:59:00 AM »
Hehe.. I'm non-smoker! :)

What about leed the hose to a bucket with a wet towel? And place the bucket next to a open window.

Yoghurt

Don´t plug a condenser!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
Pressure will build up in the system. The last thing you want is a loud bang followed by glass and chemical shit everywhere!

baalchemist

Baal occaisionally runs these reflux style...
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 05:38:00 AM »
Baal occaisionally runs these reflux style reactions. I have always taken one of those thin, disposable rubber(latex) type gloves, and affixed that to condenser-top instead of a balloon. Seems to workout better for Baal using those instead.

Coitus

shit
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »
shit, I just run a 1 hole stopper with some tubing going to a snapple bottle full of cat litter. works fine.