Author Topic: yes, we have no h2so4  (Read 3025 times)

auntyjack

yes, we have no h2so4
« on: January 08, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »
ok...how the hell does one aquire h2so4 in australia...swiaj noticed a govt. report on the net saying that sulphuric and nitric acids have been made difficult to obtain in australia due to the risk of someone squirting someone else in the face with a syringe full said substances...lucky caustic soda doesn't burn!!!...stupid govt. anyway, this is a final plea sent out before swiaj starts canvasing battery shops, chemical companies and the like...oh the intimidating chemical companies..."and what do you want sulphuric acid for sir?"..."why, to squirt in peoples faces of course my good man,"...at least swiaj can pass as a rev head(petrol head for non oz types)...have fun and bye for now,
    aj
p.s. why yes, i do believe i have been aquainted with TFSE, bless it's heart...thank you for asking

auntyjack

don't panic!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 01:37:00 AM »
swiaj found some...coincidentally an oz bee posted this morning to say that h2so4 can be readily obtained from a local battery shop...fucking duh!!...swiaj was a bit put off the battery route by the fact that his rev head mates don't use the stuff and the guys at the auto shops i canvased could't work out why the fuck i needed battery acid;"you just want distilled water mate,"..."no, i spilled the whole lot..."...anyhow, oz bees GO TO A FUCKING BATTERY SHOP...have fun and bye for now,
                                aj

Bond_DoubleBond

make sure you distill or boil off all the...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 04:56:00 AM »
make sure you distill or boil off all the water in those battery electrolyte solutions.  when swim bought it, it must have been less than 70% h2so4, judging by the density.

spectralshift

aj!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »
I didn't even know you were an Auzbee, auntie!

But what on earth is a "battery shop"?
I know it can bee obtained from car batteries.

I think the concentration is around 63%, but I don't know if, or by how much the concentration changes when the battery is new or used. You?

Osmium

Battery acid is 38% H2SO4. D is 1.285g/ml.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »
Battery acid is 38% H2SO4. D is 1.285g/ml.

spectralshift

Os do you know if the concentration decreases...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »
Os do you know if the concentration decreases much as it gets used?

new car batteries are 50-90 smackers.

Osmium

> new car batteries are 50-90 smackers.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »
> new car batteries are 50-90 smackers.

Then don't buy the whole battery, buy only the acid. It's cheap.

spectralshift

Ill see what can be done.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »

pyroflatus

when in Rome...
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 07:01:00 AM »
You're in Australia, in which case sulfuric acid for batteries can be bought from any automotive supplier for replacing spent acid in lead/acid cells. Your local petrol station probably stocks it, but a little bird tells me that it can be bought from automotive product retail chains, as you'd expect. Distillation will yield concentrated H2SO4 suitable for your purposes.

LoRE

no problem
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 07:14:00 AM »
H2SO4 if you look in the yellow pages there are a lot of  comerical chemical companys that sell cleaning product for the building industry and pool chemicals i have found 2 in my local area that sell concentrated H2SO4 for about $30lt or like the previous posts car battery companys have plenty of it....dont feel like they are going to ask you 20 questions and if they do tell them your boss told you to get it...

i can think of at least a dozen times that my boss has ask me to get chemicals for somthing or another and ive had no idea what they have been for, when questioned i shrug and say dont ask me i just work here

i bought 20 1 lt bottles of 10% iodine from a saddlery i spun some crap about my boss not knowing what he was doing and they laughed and took me out the back gave me a 2 box'x of 10 and gave me a discount and said they would have more the next day if i needed it..

remember its only suss because you think it is

ps if your a bannana bender look around the ernest area

placebo

stay away from ernest, they are not that ...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »
stay away from ernest, they are not that friendly.

spectralshift

First rate words LoRe, 10x.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »