Author Topic: Ketone Color  (Read 2285 times)

Bubbleplate

Ketone Color
« on: June 29, 2003, 07:46:00 AM »
I know there has been quite a few postings about Ketone color, and the wide range of colors. But has anyone definitively figured out why the color can vary?
I ask because lately my ketone has been Clear with just a hint of yellow, whereas when the first couple of batches were the standard floro-greenish.
The only procedural changes I've made is more washings post-Wacker.

hCiLdOdUeDn

Same here
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »
Most of the time my MDP2P is neon-green. One time it came out almost clear with a hint of yellow. Never blue though. I have never done wacker rxn, only oxone! Washing my impure ketone right after hydrolysis with sat NaHCO3, 3x, lead to distillation of the ketone with VERY LITTLE TAR (less than 1 gram), and light yellow ketone. This was the best Ketone swim ever made. (smelled the best too!)

GenericVersion

ketone can be blue and still react quite well,
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »
ketone can be blue and still react quite well, search rhodiums site and I know from personal experience the blue color apperently comes from impure safrole

Bubbleplate

I Know That Different Color Ketones
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »
from experience, aminate OK, but my question is what actually causes the different colors. I thought I saw a post one time that alluded to the Neon-Green color being caused by Palladium by-products, and could be eliminated by adding some activated charcoal to the Ketone.
Maybe I should have phrased my question: "What SHOULD the color of ketone be?"

raffike

Ketone should be pure as far as i know,colour...
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »
Ketone should be pure as far as i know,colour doesn't matter as the stuff that makes ketone green,for example,doesn't even make up 1% of neon-green ketone.Colour is because of traces of some other material.

Rhodium

Proper color of MDP2P
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 06:58:00 AM »
MDP2P should be Post-It<tm> yellow when pure.