Author Topic: tips for ghb  (Read 2045 times)

LoRE

tips for ghb
« on: November 22, 2003, 08:34:00 PM »
swim read the posts about the decomposition of ghb and decided to experiment...DONT GO OVER 200 swim lost a lot of product and what is left tastes strange and is very weak

usally swim procedes like this:

500mls dH2O and 250 grams of NAOH are mixed and left to cool and clear
400mls of GBL solution is heated in a vision ware saucepan,that is sitting in an electric frypan halffilled with cooking oil (i like to use sunflower but its personal prefrence....lol)to about 115 c you can pour about 150-200ml of the NAOH solution while your waiting for the temp to get up to 115 c you know when it gets ther cause it bubbles and spits everywhere.
 DONT POUR ALL THE NAOH IN BEFORE YOU GET TO 115
the reaction is far 2 violent, after it gets to 115 and has reacted you can pour a little more in keep doing this till you have about 150 ml of NAOH left, then ph. swim usally stops adding NAOH at about ph7 he then cranks up the heat and lets it go till 155 c this takes about 1 hour somtimes longer MAX about 2 hours.

swim prefers to oil bath because it is harder to go past the 150 mark and swim tried to use just the stove  yesterday and tried to pour all the NAOH in and he planned to turn the temp down when the reaction started....that was a big mistake lost maybe 100ml on the stove top and burnt himself a bit. any way he let it go to 200 to see what would happen  this took about 25 min strange smell filled the kitchen and when it was removed swim added about 200ml of H20 to cool it down this solidified the ghb which had to be crushed and mxed which took about 20 mins

usally swim adds H20 till over all volume is 1250ml this ends up with 1 ml per 10kg body weight:

but because a little product was lost on the stove top he only added till volume was 900ml...

swim had 8ml taste was strange did nothing so swim had another 6 did nothing another 8 put swim to sleep....

next day swim had 12 and got a little hit swim has now thrown this out and decided to stick with what he usally does

:(

hypo

why?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 04:35:00 AM »
why do you use NaOH (please note capitalisation) and not chromic's
(oh so much cleaner) baking soda method?

LoRE

ive never heard of the baking soda method but...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 01:15:00 PM »
ive never heard of the baking soda method but could you point me in the direction of enlightenment i would be gratefull....ill UTFSE and see what i can find

i use that much NaOH because thats how much it takes to get the PH to 7 ,or i would if i wasnt dreaming,and its worked for the last 40 or 50 times.

and theres been no complaints

Chromic

Baking soda method
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »
Really, this should be on Rhodium's site. Sure, it's super basic chemistry... in fact, even takes a bit longer than using NaOH... but it's using a product, baking soda, that is food grade instead of using a potentially unknown and unsafe grade of NaOH. (ACS is fine, but who gets their chemicals straight from Fischer?) Plus you don't need half the care to handle baking soda compared to caustic soda.

The whole post is here:

Post 250972

(Chromic: "GHB from GBL & baking soda", Methods Discourse)

The basics of it is:

Bring 400mL water and 97.6g baking soda to a medium boil. Reduce heat to simmer, add 100g GBL (88.6ml) and cover. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes. The pH will end neutral--and small amounts of Na2CO3 are not dangerous to consume.

Rhodium

rewrite wanted
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 11:13:00 AM »
If you rewrite it into a form suitable for inclusion in

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/ghb.html

(you know what writing style and length is appropriate), I'll put it there right away.

Grimble_Gromble

My english is not so good.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 01:53:00 AM »
My english is not so good. And some expression I don´t understand very well. Is baking soda the same that NaHCO3?

spectralmagic

Yes.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 03:17:00 AM »
Yes, sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3.

I wonder, would CaCO3 do in place of Ca(OH)2?

Rhodium

solubility difference
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 05:39:00 AM »
That reaction might take ages, due to the low solubility of CaCO3 - but please try it if you want to.

Chromic

Addition to GHB faq
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 11:29:00 AM »
Calcium carbonate, most likely, can be used (as far as I know, weak acids will react with CaCO3). You'll have to follow this sort of baking soda method, and you may have to extend the time of reaction to 24+ hrs. I've never personally tried it but it's worth attempting.

Rhodium, here's a sample write-up for addition to your faq (I wasn't sure if you wanted me to follow your #s or #s that I have personally used, whatever, the rxn and results will be the same):

-------
Add 273g NaHCO3 (3.25 moles of baking soda) to 1125ml distilled water in a glass container. Slowly bring the solution to a boil while stirring with a glass rod or similar. All of the baking soda will dissolve. Carbon dioxide will be seen leaving the solution as it comes to a boil. This is the sodium bicarbonate breaking down into a slightly stronger base, sodium carbonate:

2 NaHCO3 -> Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

Reduce the heat to a light boil, and slowly add 250ml gamma-butyrolactone (280g, 3.25 moles). The addition is not immediately exothermic as with the sodium hydroxide synthesis. Keep this solution at a light boil for 30 minutes.

Check the pH with universal pH paper. We are aiming for a pH around 7, but anything 6 to 8 is perfectly safe. If the pH is too high, add a small amount more GBL and continue to reflux.

The solution will be perfectly clear and should be absolutely colorless. If it is not perfectly colorless, i.e. if slightly impure butyrolactone was used and the solution has taken on a light yellow color, add about 100ml of activated charcoal. Allow this to boil for 10 minutes. Cool the solution then filter, washing the activated charcoal with 2 or 3 50ml portions of cold water.

410g of NaGHB will be made in this synthesis. This solution can be concentrated to about 50% NaGHB before it will start to crystallize. If you wish for a powder, heat until the temperature of the solution reaches 150C then pour onto a flexible metal sheet and allow it to cool and solidify.

This synthesis is perfect for use where there is no food grade, ACS grade or electronics grade sodium hydroxide available.

Rhodium

added
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 12:27:00 PM »
Thank you Chromic, that has now been added to the doc at my page.

SilverSurfer

Spare ur time drink GBL
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 04:52:00 AM »
Fuck the GBL to lactone conversion. After first "OD"
i considered the salty taste so annoying that i gladly sticked to the chemically taste of diluted GBL. And the effects are similiar if not even better.

Chromic

Fair enough
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 04:50:00 PM »
I too prefer the GBL straight compared to NaGHB, however there are times when conversion to NaGHB is necessary (e.g. purifying with activated charcoal, being able to take a concentrated dose, economics, etc).

spectralmagic

I prefer weighing powder myself...
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 08:16:00 PM »
Whereas I get instant gag reflex at the taste of GBL, and don't mind the taste of GHB salts, so I guess to each their own...

I've also noticed the two come on a little differently...