Author Topic: Chlorosafrole and the Finkelstein reaction -rev drone  (Read 2641 times)

dormouse

Chlorosafrole and the Finkelstein reaction -rev drone
« on: April 19, 2000, 03:53:00 PM »

the Hive BB
  Serious Chemistry Forum
  Chlorosafrole and the Finkelstein reaction

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   Chlorosafrole and the Finkelstein reaction 
rev drone
Member   posted 01-06-99 12:26 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alledgedly, chlorosafrole is readily prepard via safrole, HCl, and a PTC. This is good, if it is the case. Does anybody have notes on this?
Chlorosafrole isn't as reactive as its heavier analogs bromo- and iodosafrole. However, I want to share with you all the magic of yet another phase-transfer catalylzed reaction: a variation of the Finkelstein reaction.

Yes, a little quaternary ammonium salt, a dash of CaBr2 (I've heard rumors NaBr works too), and a person can readily convert alkyl chlorides to bromides without breaking a sweat.

Synthesis 34, (1984)
J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Comm. 1250 (1986)
Isr. J. Chem. 26, (1985) 243

For those who prefer iodides:

US Pat. 3992432 (1976)
CA 72, 115271 (1970)
J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Comm. 879 (1974)
Synth. Comm. 16, (1986) 1029

------------------
-the good reverend drone

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 01-06-99 04:38 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have experimental details from runs using HCl/Aliquat 336 on safrole. Look in my Halosafrole doc at my page.

The Cook
Member   posted 01-14-99 12:04 AM          
Amen Brother! (or sister!) Aliquat is funstuff!
So drone-are you going to try for a one-pot PTC? This might be your baby...

rev drone
Member   posted 01-14-99 09:11 AM          
A one-pot-shot with this reaction would be the holy grail. I envision a three-step procedure:
1) PTC-catalyzed addition of HCl to safrole

2) PTC-catalyzed halogen exchange may not be necessary, but it could only help)

3) PTC-catalyzed amination

OF course, at each step, at least one of the phases would haver to be replaced and the other cleaned up, so I don't know if it truly qualifies as an OPS. Still, if it all could be done with aliquot 336, it just be the most amazing thing in the world.

------------------
-the good reverend drone

ChemHack
Member   posted 01-14-99 07:33 PM          
Hey Rhodium,
I double checked your page but didn't find anything about aqueous HBr and PTC. Didn't I read somewhere that bad things happen using this route?

rev drone
Member   posted 01-15-99 10:14 AM          

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/halosafrole.txt

------------------
-the good reverend drone

rev drone
Member   posted 01-15-99 10:18 AM          

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/halosafrole.txt

------------------
-the good reverend drone

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive