Author Topic: Naptha in Aus?  (Read 1933 times)

Plague

Naptha in Aus?
« on: December 02, 2002, 08:02:00 PM »
SWIP wanted naptha for some thing or other.
After his research he's fairly certain that in this country it ain't stocked in hardware stores. He's found it in the form of good old lighter fluid, but procedure (STB-VideoEditor) specifically says NOT to use lighter fluid.

Any OzBees have some hints?

Thanks

havok13

naptha in aus
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 06:00:00 PM »
any zippo fluid will do, shellite from most s'markets better&cheaper, but best option is 2 grab sum lighter fluid (petroleum diatallate)from the hardware,comes in 1 litre bottles&at apx$5buks its cheap as, +_it B DA JUICE.

Dasmo

shellite
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 12:03:00 AM »
Shellite will more than likely suit your needs.
I'm pretty sure that it's also known as petroleum spirit, white spirit, petroleum ether. . Make sure you get one that says 100% hydrocarbons, and if you're going to use it for anything which involves consumption, leave about an ounce of it to evaperate in a clean glass or jar to make sure it doesn't leave residue.  8)

ScuzZ

Napthalene
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 06:54:00 AM »
You can find napthalene in any camping store, it's used for fire lighters.. they come in 1' x 1' by 10mm blocks and about 10 -> 20 in a packet..

Pretty cheap as well.

Anansi

Naphthalene
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 07:26:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken naphtalene is also the substance which composes most mothballs, but it is a solid..

Please tell me if I'm missing something but how is naphthalene relevant to naptha and non-polar solvents in general?

...Anansi

ScuzZ

Naptha
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 08:50:00 PM »
Swim just thought you were talking about Napthalene just in short..

BenWiFFen

Better n/p
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 04:31:00 AM »
Naptha is not the best choice for your n/p. If you must warm it up a tad pryer to use. Charcol lighter or camping stove fuel (white gas) will work jaus as well. Look for varnish solvent.

Stash Masters_-_Batch and release.

epistemologicide

ozy ozy ozy!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »
goto super cheap auto type shops they sell 20 litre drums of toluene(by the shell company)

use that mate

FEAR MY GEAR
i cook to save the planet!!

Plague

Tol similar enough to naptha?
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2002, 04:31:00 PM »
Unsurprisingly SWIP is very new to this. He already has some odd 40L of Toluene, but the writeup said 'Naptha - no substitutions'. I always did wonder if another NP was just as suitable.

The purpose is to use boiling naptha to extract pseudo freebase, once the naptha cools FB crystals should form in solvent. Will this occur just as readily from boiling Toluene as Naptha?

Many thanks for all the replies :)

pHarmacist

You can
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »
Toluene is very good to use for the purpose that you intend to use it for... UTFSE

"Turn on, Tune in and Drop Out"

urushibara

shellite in queensland stinks
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 11:40:00 PM »
I don't know what the fuck the stuff is, but recochem shellite sold in QLD is fucking horrible. I have had endless problems getting stuff out of base solutions using the shellite that's sold at hardware stores around here.

urushibara

shellite==lighter fluid
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 03:30:00 AM »
shellite, if it is true to its name and is actually the shellite formula as made by shell (and presumably would actually be from shell) awwwshit damned supplier names. Ah well, this is a warning anyway.

Do not use shellite, aka mobilite aka camp stove fuel. It has a high-boiling fraction in it specifically designed to make it just right for those camp stove things. Worse than the fact it almost certainly will have a high boiling fraction, is the fact that it dissolves BUGGER ALL, at least in the case of DMT anyhow - and SWIM says same goes for meth. This might be improved by distilling the low bp fraction off, but at the price you pay for it, you'd have to be nuts.

If this gak is used to extract dmt, it will produce stubbornly non-crystallising brown gak that is completely impossible to smoke and will cause significant breathing difficulties for about an hour afterwards. This is likely due to having a bp over 200°C (or so)

SWIM has struggled with using this crap as a nonpolar solvent for a few years now, thinking it was his technique or knowledge or something that consistently lead to failures. Maybe SWIM wasn't doing some things right now and then, but none compared to the insanity of using this horrid crud. SWIM was once involved in a significant explosion involving this stuff. Well, then again naptha or hexane or ether would likewise go boom in the precise circumstances.

I don't know whether naptha or hexane share this property, but shellite also has heavier than air vapours, much like petrol. It is worth looking into going to a petroleum products depot to find actual *naptha*, it isn't as good at dissolving things as toluene or xylene but it evaporates more rapidly. However, since a person has to go the lengths of visiting a fuel depot, might as well get some methanol and toluene as well. Toluene will recover more goodness than naptha by a significant degree, though ongoing exposure to it is said to cause liver failure and damage mental function.

Stay away from shellite. shell-lite, shell lighter fluid. not nice stuff at all, certain to cause much pain and suffering to a bee. Though may be okay for defatting or otherwise washing polar fractions.

epistemologicide

infact i remember worlok stating that it holds
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2003, 07:23:00 PM »
infact i remember worlok stating that it holds more fb cause of its structure, or hydrocarbon thingy dingy.

utfe for worloks post of napy