Author Topic: toluene in auto paint thinner  (Read 1657 times)

urushibara

toluene in auto paint thinner
« on: February 28, 2003, 02:00:00 PM »
SWIM was walking around in an industrial area one day and got the urge to look at an auto paint shop to see what thinners they had, in case toluene could be found.

Sure enough he found what he was looking for. Sort of. It was half toluene and half a mix of phenol and ammonia. Is this mix specifically designed to become an azeotrope or something? If not, would it be possible to use water to wash off this crap. SWIM looked at info about phenol (he figures ammonia will just wash straight out), and it's soluble in water to the degree of 8.28g/100ml.

So, if swim ran water over this solution, preferably in a large steel or polypropylene container, he'd be able to remove all that gak wouldn't he? Seeing as tol only takes in  .05g/100ml water, would that work?

Sorry if this question has been answered before, I couldn't find anything of the sort in tfse, there was plenty about separating methanol and toluene (which I figured was easy with lots of water), but phenol is a more stubborn alcohol than methanol with regards to dissolving in water. Another idea that occurred to me just now - what about using ethanol to improve the solubility of the phenol in water? Doubt it would be useful though.

Other than that, can any bee tell SWIM whether toluene can be bought at petroleum depots in OZ (specifically the sunshine state)? SWIM understands it is an octane improving additive, and also that it's something that recently (maybe it was a while ago, but google gave so many hits regarding this) dodgy petrol stations using it to fluff out petrol to dodge petrol tax.

Thanks bees, SWIM has struggled without a still and with using 'shellite' now for ages, wondering why he never seemed to get decent results in A/B extractions. Now he knows why. Sitting there looking at his shellite fraction he was washing on some straight tapwater he could see quite clearly for the first time a slight yellow colouration in the shellite, and for so long he kept reading these things about getting strong tinting, and now he knows why he never saw it. He doesn't want to use any kind of hexanes, the requirement for being hot (to almost boiling) is rather inconvenient. Not to mention dangerous.

chemisfun

Way out west
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 02:29:00 PM »
Tol can be purchased at S#$%L depots in 20l cans for $45 in WA. Victoria is the same. In the past 12 months a guy swim knows has done just that.

If you want Tol... just buy some. It's great stuff for cleaning enamel paints of paint brushes.

urushibara

sweeeeeeeet
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 02:38:00 PM »
yay, thought it might be as such. sent a funny email posing as a student of chemistry doing an assignment about controlled chemicals to that very same company. hope it wasn't a silly thing to do... oh well, my email service doesn't have my details anyway. they had plenty of nice info about toluene ang xylene on it... Oh, presumably the same issues apply to getting stuff from M@%^@L yeah? hmmm, wonder where a s@#%#l depot is around here... shouldn't be hard to find by the sounds.

ta

abacus

Jeesuz, guys, don't waste time emailing with...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 08:41:00 AM »
Jeesuz, guys, don't waste time emailing with bullshit excuses it looks bad, just rock up in person to the said depot's ask for it, they give it to you and then you drive away.  Methanol, Toluene, Xylene in 20L drums is part of their core business and is not controlled in this part of the world, they don't even ask any questions.

Abacus

urushibara

yay!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »
ta for that. yes, verification everywhere about this.

Regardless, anyone got any idea how long this will be the case, is anyone pestering to get tol and xyl off the market? I thinking that probably chemsupplies won't stop selling it anytime ever, but there may come a time where tol and xyl become like ethanol. nobody thinking this will happen any time soon?

I hope this is the case, because OTC hardwarestore/supermarket nonpolars are not available anymore. C***les don't do it no more, that s***lite stuff, and the hardwares are not doing xyl or tol, has been many years of this, though thinks xyl is recent pull from the catalogue.

came up with a tek that makes a freebase from plants w/o using a clean np, hope some comments can be made, because I'm sure that somebody out there needs a tek with such. I believe there are some places that have put tol, xyl, hexane type napthas, and dcm under control. There's no options once these all go controlled. sux. goddamn sob's. ah well, ye get that.

Til tol and xyl go controlled here, they's the way to go.

thanks bees, very bloody much. hahaha.

ye's all fuggin grate blokes and chicks.

seriously. love yas.

ciao

U

epistemologicide

elfy
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 04:20:00 AM »
ursy
way mofe economic to get a 50 dollor drum thats made by shell for 20 litres

you can get that here in our sun shine state, at a car shop me pm if you need it mate.....ps

placebo is a chess nerd.(not relervent but mentioned)