Author Topic: NITROMETHANE is 99.95% pure enought?  (Read 2291 times)

smutboy420

NITROMETHANE is 99.95% pure enought?
« on: June 04, 2003, 05:21:00 AM »
i picked up a gallon of nirto that was suposed to be pure nitro with nothing added. but rather then being 100% pure its only 99.95 pure. is that plenty pure enought as is or should i distill it?
BTW a lot of suppliers will not sell any thing past 40% now due to new shipping regs and stuff. so im glad to even bee able to of gotten it at all. wich would of really sucked to have built my cover story racecar for nothing. :-)

karl

Of course its pure enough.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 06:06:00 AM »
Of course its pure enough.

smutboy420

i figured it was
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 07:34:00 AM »
the main reasone i was woundering about it was. when i put some on a glass plate and let it evap. it left a residue. i have never worked with nitro befor to know if this was normal or not. its not suposed to have any lubercants or any thing in it. so im was assuming it must be good enought to use. but i wanted to make double sure first. cause i've see bees talking about 98% fucking shit up on them. cause of lube in it or something like that.
something else i thought might be weird. isint this stuff suposed to be very flamable? its very hard to get it even burn at all. i tried to light a beer bottle cap full with a lighter. no flame whats so ever!!! put some on a pcs of paper and it them seemed to burn but was a weird faint slow buring flame. kind of looked like metal burning. yellow/white then turned to greens and pinks. but with out wicking it with something that will burn it don't light. WTF?

raffike

if it left a residue,it's not even close to...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 07:35:00 AM »
if it left a residue,it's not even close to pure,let alone 99,95%

karl

It burns with a bluish flame from what I ...
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 07:55:00 AM »
It burns with a bluish flame from what I remember. Distill it and note the boiling points.

karl

They probably used 99.95% pure nitomethane...
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 08:12:00 AM »
They probably used 99.95% pure nitomethane before diluting it to 40%

runne

Ahh.. ingredient lists..
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 10:40:00 AM »
With the NM was sold with one.

SWIM had a similar problem. Bought "Pure 95% Nitromethane", and upon distilling it was:
1) 5% or so of Methanol boiling point of 64 to 75 or so. Azeotrope?
2) 80 to 85% NM boiling point of 101.
3) Yellow castor oil or other such still left in distillinf flask.

The original 95% NM had a slightly light yellow tint to it. The distilled is very clear, no yellow in it at all.

Distilling NM is fast and easy. From what SWIM's read the only think to be careful of is distilling to dryness, or in an inclosed space with no ventilation. But then again, you should be doing most of this stuff without real ventilation :-)

Runne

smutboy420

found some burn data for nitro
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 01:04:00 PM »
i came acrost this
"FIRESUITS
The mandatory use of fire suits adds to the generally held view that with nitro-methane mixtures the fire risk is increased, but this is not so.

If you care to test this you can do so as follows. Take a small amount of petrol, about one teaspoonful say, and place in a small tin lid and then ignite. It will catch fire almost with a bang.
Now take the same amount of methanol and after the tin has cooled down, repeat the exercise observing the almost lazy manner in which it ignites, burning with a blue colour, the edges of the flame lined in places in yellow and orange.Now take the same amount of nitro-methane, 98 per cent if you like, and repeat the experiment and see how difficult it is to ignite, burning with a green tinted flame in a reluctant manner.
This is due of course to the respective flash points of the three fuels, petrol being the lowest at between zero and 40 degrees F. approximately, methanol at 67 Degrees F., and nitromethane at 110 degrees F.
In other words with petrol you have a major fire risk and far less so with nitromethane mixtures"
so it seems like its burning like it should. the residue left on the plate will go away if heated.
i checked the MSDS sheet again that came with it. it claims 99.95% with no word of additives. i did come acrost some brands that say 99.?? pure with an additive that changes color from light yellow to blue if the nitro goes bad. this stuff is water clear tho. just not as thin as water really. and if any one wants to read between the lines it was supplied from a world wide racing fules supplier. if some one wher to put a few W's in front and a com on the back and remove the right spaces. they might find them selves on a site that has the info. but not because of me only by chance.

grellobanans

Color
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 06:39:00 PM »
Another good easy indicator is color. If it's anything other than clear, then it must be distilled.

StuckPig

so the indiactor will affect the reaction?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 08:43:00 AM »
The Nitro that has the yellow color to it that I have seen contains only the water indicator in it.  I would have thought that indicator would be inert and therefore not require distilling it off?

wyndowlicker

Nitro based fuel additives!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »
HEy now,

Apparently they screwed you on that deal.Send it back tell them it doesnt meet your standard for quality.Tell them to give you what you ordered.Tell them you mixing your own fuel and need pure nitro to start.If not reorder from somewhere else.I called someones distributer.Think hot rods.Ive got a 5 gallon bucket easy as a walk in! :P

baalchemist

Nitro needs to be under compression to be...
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 09:58:00 PM »
Nitro needs to be under compression to be explosive, ie; an engine cylinder & piston. When most people hear the word "Nitro" used, they assume all kinds of nonsense as if it were nitroglycerin. The uneducated masses certainly make this dump called earth an interesting place at times.

Rhodium

over time, nitromethane take on a yellowish tint
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2003, 08:32:00 PM »
Nitromethane (and other nitroalkanes) slowly decompose over time (several years), causing them to take on a yellowish tint if stored at room temp for 1-2 years or more. If your nitromethane isn't colorless, then please distill it before use.