Author Topic: About Phalaris growing  (Read 2650 times)

alphacentauri

About Phalaris growing
« on: March 27, 2003, 02:02:00 PM »
Next saturday I'm going to take 5 Phalaris Arundinacea plants I've ordered. I won't use them straight as they are, but I want to grow and multiply them, to have a large stock the following years (as I'm doing with Morning Glory).
Is it true that growing phalaris in a poor environment (little or no fertilizers, soil not rich in nutrients, little water) will enhance the alcaloid(s) content?

KidCurry

I don't know about your question, it might be...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 02:58:00 PM »
I don't know about your question, it might be true or false. But what I've heard is that Phalaris is a very poor source for n,n-DMT (I have never heard of anyone having sucess with an extraction except Jim DeKorne in his book "Psychedelic Shamanism", and this is a source I highly doubt) and also contain a very small amount of 5-MeO-DMT and some other alkaloids. If you want to extract DMT, I advice you to buy some Mimosa Hostilis-rootbark instead.

Madog

Phalaris
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 04:19:00 AM »
i was thinking about buying some phalaris seeds and cultivateing some... Phalaris aqualis(dunno sp) is suposed to have up to 0.18% alkaloids for dry material, and about 200g of fresh phalaris is suposed to be equal to like 30g of dry material.

i may just order some mimosa hostillus, but i think i will grow some phalaris for the hell of it. it seems that people have had sucess, but ive never seen a person claiming sucess directly.

hCiLdOdUeDn

multiple purifications
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 06:13:00 AM »
Repeated acid/base extractions and repeated crystalizations can lead to crystalline DMT. This may taked a dozen times and yields will lower but its worth it ;)

chemisfun

The plant is going to be a lot smaller etc
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 09:55:00 AM »
"Is it true that growing phalaris in a poor environment will enhance the alkaloid(s) content?"

Possibly true, how ever your overall plant is going to be a lot smaller and less impressive! And starving them may not enhance alkaloid production either

phalaris aquatica (hign alkaloid strains such as 'australian') was recommended to swim by a little birdie.

I would recommend trying some seeds, 50g packets cost around 10 yankee dollars... no harm in trying.

It is a pasture grass used as a winter feed in some warm countries. It is not as popular as it use to be amongst farmers how ever the right strains of P Aquatica are quite high in alkaloids.

Seeding ratios are 1-3kg per hectare
Work that out for your backyard.

The first heavy autumn rains are the best time to plant down-under where the winters are wet and mild. I imagine in europe and US nothing would grow over winter so early spring would be the time to plant.

Swim is in the process of planting his first ever crop.

Aurelius

Stress
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »
Stress generally increases a plants alkaloid levels- however,that doesn't mean you should torture them from birth. Try growing them using fertilizers and regular waterings until mature. Then place in full sun, cut back the water drastically (not enough to kill them or dry them out), and don't use any fertilizers starting about 1-2months before this.  after about 1-2 weeks, harvest.  There should be a higher alkaloid content (however, it may not be drastically higher).

alphacentauri

I have 7 plants, 4 Tricolor type and 3 ...
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 10:58:00 PM »
I have 7 plants, 4 Tricolor type and 3 Luteopicta. I planted them in vases and let them grow under control before naturalizing them in full soil. They are very easy to grow: I realized this when I saw they didn't suffer at all the transplantation. My Morning Glory as well is all born. When the plants will be strong enough and completely naturalized in the microclimate, I'll start cutting leaves and experimenting. I'll report the results here at the Hive and I'll write an account. At the moment I'm studying all the material I found on Rhodium's about the subject.
There will be a problem: when I'll have DMT/5MeO-DMT at hand, I'm not able to vapourize it and smoke it. I must necessarily i.v. it. What about inhaling a concentrated solution with the aerosol-machine? It's very tricky, but what other alternatives to i.v.?
I think that buying Phalaris seeds there is the chance of getting a genetically modified plant, created on purpose to minimize alkaloid content. Not for us, consider that Phalaris arundinacea is a cattle fodder, so in some laboratory surely researchers have worked to obtain a clone with a low alkaloids content, and that clone presumably is the most marketed. If you get garden plants, instead, it's much easier to find Phalaris with a natural alcaloid production, since in garden clones only the aesthetic aspect is required, and the presence of alcaloids is meaningless, contrarily to cattle feeding plants.
Anyway this is a very interesting subject to inquire into.

chemisfun

partly true
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 08:16:00 AM »
apparently some of the original P Aquatica grasses occassionaly killed the sheep that ate it.

Some theories point towards high alkaloid levels in the grasses being responsible. You just have to choose a strain that is high in alkaloids. I have ordered a high alkaloid strain (from an ethnobotanical supply) to experiment with so fingers crossed.

Blind_Angel

I'm not really sure but, i think that Phalaris
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 12:47:00 AM »
I'm not really sure but, i think that Phalaris Grass grow in the wild around here, i was planning to harvest them this summer but since i'm really impatient do you think that old plant that stayed the winter under the snow will work too?

ClearLight

Phytogenic cycles...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2003, 09:07:00 AM »
Determine maximum production times in plant life ( typically more in young shoots) and seasonal variations will affect alkaloid production as well.

alphacentauri

I think best thing you can do is growing some...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2003, 12:11:00 AM »
I think best thing you can do is growing some in a controlled environment. SWIM lives in the countryside, in a temperate climatic region at the border of mediterranean area. There is phalaris growing wild here, but he preferred to purchase some plants from a greenhouse, just to have the pure strain. It's easy to mistake wild phalaris for reed. Since alcaloid content is approx 0,1-0,2%, you have to work big quantities of vegetable matter and it's particularly important to process ONLY phalaris. SWIM thinks that DMT is not the easiest extraction, like morphine out of opium - 10% - . Here you work with a low ratio alcaloid/vegetable matter, and the risk of fucking up an extraction should be easy.