The Hive > Stimulants

Methcathinone to Methamphetamine

(1/6) > >>

pHarmacist:
Clemmensen Reduction:

In a 1-L flask fitted with a re-flux condenser, 5,3 mol of mossy zinc is treated with 800 mL of a 5% aq solution of mercuric chloride for 1 h. The solution is decanted; then 0.835 mol of methcathinone freebase is added followed by as much HCl diluted with the same V of water as needed to cover all the Zn. The mixture is re-fluxed for 8 h during which time additional dilute HCl is added in small portions. After cooling, the the upper layer is separated, washed free of acid, dried, and distilled to give methamphetamine free-base.

[NOTE]: Addition of HCl is critical and it should be added slowly in order not to destroy methcathinone.

EDIT: Forgot the yield: Mad Hatter (a no-bee friend) got 45 % of theory, but according to him there was a loss during the workup due to a accident (spillage).

Oh and he actually called me now and told me that he protected the amino group of ephedrone prior to the reduction. Basicly he claims that he re-fluxed methcathinone base along with the formic acid and acetic anhydride (details to come later). Removal of formyl group was accomplishied by heating of n-formyl meth in aqueous NaOH. I can post the details tommorow from his computer.

Ref: Reductions In Organic Chemistry (Milos Hudlicky)
Never underestimate the power of retrosynthesis.

Jetson:
seems to swij to be alot of wasted time effort.  why would one take the time to make methcathinone just to then reduce it to methamphetamine?  unless there's some novel synth for cat that doesn't use ephedrine/psuedo as a precursor?  did jetson miss something somewhere?
the devil is so lonely >:(

Rhodium:
Who is Mad Hatter, and where did he publish his results?

pHarmacist:
as i said a friend, he followed the procedure described in the Reductions In org chem. I now borrowed the book from him in order to post the procedure here. He didn't gave me any details on protection besides telling me that he protected the amino group prior to the reduction.
Never underestimate the power of retrosynthesis.

Rhodium:
Oh, I replied before you had finished your editing. Yes, with protection of the nitrogen I can readily accept those yields.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version