Author Topic: Propane in my ammonia?  (Read 2436 times)

up247365

Propane in my ammonia?
« on: May 13, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
Swim got some ammonia and when he poured off, it smelled like it had some propane in the tank but still had ammonia smell.  It also had a tint of red color in it(from rust in the tank it came from) so filtered it till it was almost completely clear, threw in batt's, and E.  What Swim was wondering was if the tank had a little bit of any. ammonia and the rest was L.P., what are Swim's options or what should he do with his sludge because the reaction never turned dark blueish color,it almost wanted to but never did and the odor smelled like maybe there was propane in the tank before or gas or something, and after toulene was added and pulled a little bit and gassed it, it came back as E.  Please Help?

Organikum

Many metals and metalsalts in special will...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »
Many metals and metalsalts in special will fuck up a BIRCH. Ironoxide aka "rust" does. Distill your ammonia or throw it away. Use a clean tank in future.

btw. do you believe a unclean rusty tank is the right thing to store something under high-pressure?

What type of fittings?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »
If you leave nh3 in the tank for any lenth of time with the wrong fittings, I know some unusual side rxns can happen. 

Stock fittings are worthless unless you use the annie immediately.