Author Topic: Extraction for name brand  (Read 12115 times)

8ball

Extraction for name brand
« on: November 02, 2003, 02:11:00 AM »

8ball

You fuckin arrogant prick
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 03:31:00 AM »

Jade

Slow down!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 11:27:00 AM »
Slow down a little bit.  Why don't you try starting out with typing just "sudafed" and go from there?  The search engine is only as "useless" as the "user". ;)

Rhodium

Faq
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »
Have you read the FAQ at the top of the Stimulants Forum Page?

geezmeister

Hmm. Least favorites.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 09:12:00 AM »
I suspect most of us spend less money on generics, which are also more readily available in my part of the universe than the name brand medicines. The name brand also encompasses a number of formulations. Look at the extraction technique threads, and match up the inactives. I tend to avoid the name brand medicines as a rule of thumb.

8ball

No joy
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »
Jade......   Slow down

Remember what i'm using Jade, It's not heroin.

Rhodium & Geez.....  FAQ & Extraction tecniques.

Have done both of these, ingredients listed on the box are pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 60mg and lactose cannot find any patent number on the box only exp date and batch numbers, so i thought bugger it i'll ring thier consumer healthcare number, and the bird on the other end did'nt have a list of insipient ingredients she could give me. So if anybody has anything on these pills i would appreciate some input.
               Cheers 8ball

LoW_JacK

8ball....
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
Look, you've got roughly 90g. of the pharmecutical industrys leading pseudoephedrine producers product in them boxes there. Now this is good (90g.), and fucked up (it's sudafed). Now if i had 50 boxes and didnt know how to recover workable feedstock, i'd take one or two boxes and attempt a methanol extraction followed by an acetone crash then maybe an A/B extraction to finish with.

Maybe you'll find that it works, or maybe sudafed has invested in making their product so impervious to clandestine chemists extraction techniques that those 50 boxes are worthless. I doubt their worthless though.

The company should be giving you the inactive ingredients when you call them. Did you ask for that or what?
INACTIVE INGREDIENTS <-(key word)
Use it!

If they have a no-disclosure policy tell them that you are allergic to certain chemicals frequently found in alot of OTC remedies and need to know if their product is gonna make you flop like a fish once ingested. They'll either stick to their guns, or give the info.

have fun and take it slow if forced to figure it out on your own. Slow!!!

8ball

Cheers
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 12:42:00 AM »
Cheers Low_Jack,
                 I'm actually half way through a metho soak at the moment and was going to follow up with a/b extraction, i was'nt going to crash with acetone but may as well through that in as well, a little xtra time is'nt going to hurt.

placebo

Sudafed has not changed their composition in...
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 01:06:00 AM »
Sudafed has not changed their composition in Australia for some time. Why don't you just look up the extraction procedures that other Aussies have pioneered years ago?

8ball

Still no joy.......
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 01:42:00 AM »
Placebo i've had a flick through most of the posts concerning sudo extractions and either i cannot source some of the products used or do not have equipment for some procedures and there was'nt any thing relating a great deal to Oz (more so for chem substitutes). I dare say it's probably right in front of me, but just can't see it. Maybe i need some sleep.

8ball

Joy at last....
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 02:16:00 PM »
Part 1

With 10 boxes(30 per box) of name brand 60mg pseudoephedrine hydrochloride whole tablets in a 600ml plastic bottle was added methylated spirits till full and shaken for 3 or 4 seconds while tablets dissolved, then left to settle for 1 1/2hrs then filtered through 3 coffee filters into clean beaker. Plastic bottle was again filled with metho again, but only to 2/3 full this time and filtered then once more to 1/2 full leaving for 20 - 30mins after a quick shake each time. With all filtered metho in one beaker still a little murky it was again filtered through 3 more clean filters coming through crystal clear then poured into a pyrex dish and evaporated until it started to thicken, maybe 125ml in pyrex dish.
At this stage i was getting a little lazy so instead of a/b extraction i decided to do Geez's pseudo precipitation technique using a microwave. So to 125ml of pseudo laden metho which had a slight yellow tinge to it was added approx 800ml of xylene, then zapped for 30seconds at a time until metho had completly evaporated and pseudo had formed itself in bottom of 1 litre pyrex jug. Fuckin like magic, totally awesome.So after a little jig in the kitchen with a grin like a cheshire cat saying to the missus "who's ya daddy" i proceeded to filter xylene through 1 coffee filter collecting just like Geez mentions pearlescant crystals.These were left to drain for 1/2 hour while i got my pecker sucked, then spread out on a piece of A4 paper to dry a little quicker. Once completly dry, about 2hrs they were weighed and come in at 14.6gms of 18 available grams of pseudo, this being only one filter from xylene, i would guess that there was maybe a couple of grams of pseudo and other bits of shit floating in xylene that was quite yellow to look at which had passed through first filter. Cheers Geez, i think that thread was under rated as only a good idea mate. I think it's fucken outstanding.

halfkast

I wonder if the microwaves have any type of...
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 04:09:00 PM »
I wonder if the microwaves have any type of effect extending beyond a simple boil through on a hotplate?

SHORTY

Heat distributed more evenly and
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 05:02:00 PM »
When using methanol and xylene it definetly has a benefit over using a hotplate.  Since the alcohol is polar then it is the main target of the microwaves so instead of heating only the bottom of the beaker which then heats the alcohol, you go straight to the alcohol.  I have found that when using the microwave it is best to use thicker glass like visionware.  The thinner lab glass gets hot too quick and then also cools to quick which can cause the gaak to precipitate before you can get the pseudo out.  I also found that putting one or two small pieces of glass like a from a broken glass stirr about 1/2 inch long in the mix you won't have to worry about bumping which is what used to scare me about using the microwave.  Microwaves will superheat solutions really quick and if your not careful then half the solution ends up all over the inside of chamber.  Xylene will dissolve the paint and then you can have a really big mess.  Also if you have a turntable, put the container on the outer edge of the turntable so that it moves constantly rather than just turning in the same spot.

8ball

re: Bumping
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 06:38:00 PM »
I would'nt have thought that putting something in the container(ie. glass) would make a difference since the alcohol is underneath the xylene and is brought to boil to evaporate it, the steam and fumes have to escape somehow and the only way is via the xylene, so you are going to get shit everywhere anyway with bubbles exploding on top of solutions. I just put one of them microwave covers over the top to stop splashing. The ones you put over your tucker to stop it from going all over the shop.

geezmeister

about the xylene clean trick
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 08:22:00 PM »
The "xylene clean" method works much better if you do not concentrate the alcohol/pseudo solution. Pour the alcohol/pseudo mix into the xylene and heat the mixture up. An unsaturated alcohol/pseudo mixture is more miscible in the xylene, which you want. You will find the pseudo that precipitates will be cleaner and you will have better yields compare to a saturated solution.

SHORTY

A few pieces of glass and no need to cover.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 12:24:00 AM »
I would'nt have thought that putting something in the container(ie. glass) would make a difference since the alcohol is underneath the xylene and is brought to boil to evaporate it

Just because the alcohol is underneath the xylene doesn't mean it will not superheat, in fact under those conditions it makes it easier to.  If there is a piece of glass in there to create nucleation points then you will find that the alcohol will boil at a steady rate and will not splash out when it reaches the surface.  Therefore you don't need to cover it and don't have to worry about lossing any as well as less chance of damaging the microwave.  You can also keep the power on rather than doing it in spurts.

Rather than pouring through a filter i find it easier to decant the dirty xylene.  With a beaker this is not easy to do but with a visionware saucepan it works great and since the pan retains heat its possible to follow the decant with a acetone flash which after decanted will dry in a matter of minutes.

8ball

Gettin' there....
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 06:17:00 AM »
Part 2...

In a 500ml twin neck rbf with liebig condenser attached in one neck 15ml of hypo acid was added then flask was placed in sink of iced water while 15g of I2 was added in 3 5g portions, once last portion had disolved 14.6g pseudo was added and flask swirled to mix ingredients.Second neck was plugged and rbf wasleft for ten mins to get back to room temp then heat was added very slowly until a steady reflux was noticed in condenser which held steady for 2hrs and 20 mins. Heat was turned of and the air conditioner was turned on to cool contents of flask down to produce a thick layer of fat that was looking quite promising.
Once cooled condenser was detached and replaced with angled splash head and then condenser fitted to splash head and water cooling pipes attached to condenser. A 10ml syringe was then filled with a caustic solution which had been prepared several hrs earlier to room temp.Once syringe was fitted to thermometer inlet(no therm)approx 1/4 of a ml was injected creating a shitload of smoke and then left to dissapate, then another 1/4 of a ml and so on until solution started to reflux from top of splash head and then heat was turned on low slowly increasingto the point steam was condensing at which point ph was tested and still a little low so more caustic was added until levels were at 13 - 14 at which time honey started to flowand cooling water was turned on. Everything was left as is until solution had near evaporated when 5ml of dh20 was added to syringe along with another 3ml of caustic and injected into flask creating another constant flow of oil drops to flow this was done once more along with ph adjustment ,after another 10 mins it was all over.
Caustic waste water was collected from under the honey and then remaining waste and honey were collected together  the syringe was pointed down left to settle for a couple of mins and then remaining waste water was dispatched and oil sqirted into evap dish and ph'd to 7 left to dry where once dry and weighed crystals came in at 11.18gms. so it's time for the tax man and then time to rextalize in alky.
           me bee buzzin

SHORTY

No np wash?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »
I have always added dh20 then do an np wash then base with 50/50 Naoh solution.  Then steam distill, drain water add np to fb in sep funnel and wash with brine and dh20 then add fresh dh20 and finally add hcl till ph7 drain and evap.

So have i been doing all these extra steps for nothing?

wareami

Perplexed¿¿¿
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 07:59:00 AM »
I'm curious as well about the removal of hypo prior to basing?
Bare with me as Ibee has never performed the hypo route.
Wouldn't the Hypo react with the naoh as it does with RP?
I guess as it's all liquid, there is no way to sep off the hypo prior to work-up...correct?
Peace of the REaction
Have FUN-Bee SAFE

8ball

Why??
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 08:14:00 AM »
Shorty.     No np wash.

If i am reading you correctly shorty, you are draining flask after first reaction and being heated(refluxed)for 2 or more hours, washing with np and returning to flask and continue with distillation.
Why...Don't get me wrong this is how i was taught, the only thing i have changed is i premix caustic so it can cool down and also let the fat form on solution.