The Hive > Stimulants

Iodine screw up

<< < (4/4)

moo:
Last time I checked...it was NAOH to reach an equilibrium in strong acidic to collect the organic, then hcl to bring back the savagable I2.
So excuse my skeptisism on seeing SodiumBicarb as the better of the two bases in trying to balance 141ML HCL extra! That's a shitload extra!

The bases in question are used for different things. In the case of treating a post-reaction mixture you are trying to make the solution so basic that you can extract the amine out. In the case of this thread, which is correcting a mistake made while trying to get I2 from tincture, the point of adding carbonate is to make sure the solution gets neutralized and make sure the mixture doesn't get too basic. For that purpose (bi)carbonate is the better choice, believe me.

wareami:

I suppose my thinking was in reverse, as is evidenced by the sludge T_C has to deal with.
It's still hoped that an equilibrium can be reached to have the I2 xtals precipitate out of solution.
It still has to be there!
What about adding alcohol?
Might that dilute the solution some after bringing back to a neutral-ish pH?
And then possibly finishing from there.
My initial thinking centered around 141ml hcl being ~3 times the amount necessary!
That seemed like it would require a whole heap of basing to bring it back!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version