Author Topic: paraformaldehyde sources  (Read 2097 times)

alkadelic

paraformaldehyde sources
« on: April 14, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »
Im looking for a good source of paraformaldehyde. after searching tfse, i found someone mention campachem being pure paraformaldehyde.an old post by felix said he washed it and was going to try it with MeAm synth. Does anyone know if this works. Does it even need to be washed since supposedly is pure paraformaldehyde. Is this a good source? has anyone had any success with it?? ? help always appreciated!

ApprenticeCook

read
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »

Post 13988 (missing)

(Rhodium: "It is forbidden to post sources in this forum!", Chemicals & Equipment)

sorry.

alkadelic

where is the source??
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 07:02:00 AM »
sorry but, i dont think im sourcing since im not stating where to purchase campachem. simply asking, what other product out there has pure paraformaldehyde in the market. i dont want to know where to purchase it, but where is paraformaldehyde found in? Just how dcm acetone ect.. is found in Bix paint stripper.

edo

Look under photography/darkroom.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »
Hi,
Look under photography/darkroom. You should also read up on Hexamine=>MeAm.HCl

Good luck

ApprenticeCook

Cant tell you brand names, but DIY look up...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 04:00:00 PM »
Cant tell you brand names, but DIY look up msds for p-formaldehyde and find the uses, then find a product that matches the use and see if it contains what you want.

alkadelic

i was hoping someone would know about this...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »
i was hoping someone would know about this campachem.I only ran into old post about it,and posters are not longer register users.from what i read, its difficult to work with since it has a blue dye in it so u cant see how the reaction is going. but chemhack says to use it as a last resort if you cant find DiGas wich they no longer make.what else can i use?, or what would be the easiest way to remove the blue dye?

ApprenticeCook

i have no idea about the campchem, never seen...
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 09:16:00 AM »
i have no idea about the campchem, never seen it in my life...
Seeing as your not motivated enough to find an alternate source as per my description:

Fungicides, bactericides, disinfectants; adhesives; hardener and waterproofing agent for gelatin; contraceptive creams and laboratory reagent.

look for items in home stores for mildew killers, fungus killers etc... they MAY have SOME p-formaldehyde in them.

-AC

alkadelic

i tired the DIY msds search but could not find
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »
i tired the DIY msds search but could not find anything on p-formaldehyde, was not too familiar on how to use it though. I think i might purchase that campachem that chemhack mentions, he's a well credited bee! and if i read correctly he also mentions blue dye wont hurt reaction. Also, i saw this mildewcide at home depot at paint section called JoMax but i dont know if its formaldehyde or p-formaldehyde. oh well, think i should call 800# on these mildewcides to find out exactly. thanks either way!

gsus

paraform
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 10:53:00 PM »
blue powder. heat. tubing. non-blue HCHO gas. non-blue odorant vapor. crap in flask. HCHO in solution. same as with pure paraform, but with some odorant that was supposed to make it smell nice. 

...the more love you give the more you find...

Tdurden969

alkadelic you shouldn't be posting sources...
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »
alkadelic you should NOT be posting sources like that here. It says so on the front page of all things. and Apprentice even pointed it out for you.

I'll give you a hint though if none of your other stuff pans out. "trioxane"