Author Topic: MM Nitro/Al-Hg variation: No HgCl2  (Read 16012 times)

SuperStar

Re: MM Nitro/Al-Hg variation: No HgCl2
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2002, 11:55:00 AM »
The tincture bottles come in alcohol. Don't know about MeOH though.

Pardon my friend officer, He's a little slow.

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2002, 12:22:00 PM »
Tincture = "dissolved in alcohol"

PB

Cept

MM/Nitro HgI2. Foil/HgI2 Calculations
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2002, 06:16:00 PM »
How much aluminum foil and HgI2 is required to run a hundred gram batch of p2p? I'm assuming the reaction requires 83.3g foil (1200ml MeOH). Will it then require 1g HgI2? So in theory, a single 2% 30ml tincture bottle(.6g+.474g=1.074) should suffice.
   How off would one have to be on the salt/foil/p2p to fuck it up? maybe leaving unreduced shit? if there wasn't enough HgI2 wouldn't it just take longer? or would it never reach completion?
    It seems like there isn't a formula or math involved, people just try different amounts and use them? I'd like the calcs. If anyone can hit me off with the math required for the calculation of the foil/salt amalgamation i'd be in your debt.

Cluster_Fucked

Re: MM/Nitro HgI2. Foil/HgI2 Calculations
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2002, 11:26:00 PM »
Just guessing, SWIC would say that at least 3 bottles of tincture would be needed, each with 0.5g Hg added prior.

Striving for normality!

SuperStar

Re: MM/Nitro HgI2. Foil/HgI2 Calculations
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2002, 04:48:00 PM »
This is also my opinion. But I am under the understanding that each 30ml 2% bottle tincture with .5 Hg in should create about 1100mg of HgI2.  Using that rational seems as if 1/2 bottle or about 15ml for a MM size reaction would be fine. I have not tried yet so keep that in mind.

Pardon my friend officer, He's a little slow.

riobard

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2002, 08:00:00 AM »
-demorol,

Any SOLUBLE mercury salt will do, quoting osmium and possibly labtop. Sulfate salts are insoluble. Nitrate, Halide, and others will definitely work. COnsult a general chemistry textbook, merck, etc. for sulubility guidelines of salts in aqueous solutions.

Soluble dosen't mean very soluble, either. As long as some dissolves, amalgamation goes, equilibrium shifts, amalgamation goes, yada yada yada. Transition metal salts are not very soluble. You're supposed to have at least a minimal amount of water in the al/hg depending on what variation you use. I know alcohol is present, factoring in, along with all of the other shit. Plainly, water is there. so is the water soluble mercury salt. It works.

Hope my tone isn't dry or antagonistic. I wasn't trying to be an asshole about it, just plain and simple. Good luck with any work that swid might be out to do