Author Topic: Benzyl Isocyanide  (Read 2098 times)

Elementary

Benzyl Isocyanide
« on: July 04, 2002, 04:25:00 AM »
Or maybe phenylacetonisonitrile ?

Does or can this chemical exist ?

Could it be made like this :

C6H5CH2NH2 + CHCl3 + 3KOH = C6H5CH2NC + 3KCl + 3H2O

John Lennon - Working Class Hero

Nemo_Tenetur

undesired byproduct
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 07:16:00 AM »
Yes, isonitriles exist. They are undesired byproducts in the synthesis from benzylchloride and alkali cyanide. You can destroy the isonitriles with concentrated sulphuric acid. See the "organic syntheses" for a detailed recipe. Isonitrile has a very unpleasant smell.

Elementary

benzylamine to benzyl cyanide !
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 07:31:00 AM »
I know that isonitriles rearrange themselves to nitriles if heated.

I was thinking of using this as a path to benzyl cyanide from benzylamine.

Toluene/Benzyl Alcohol > Benzyl Chloride > Benzylamine > Benzyl Isocyanide > Benzyl Cyanide > Phenylacetic Acid

Aurelius

experiment
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 01:15:00 PM »
You'll have to experiment with it to find out for sure if that method will work, but a very clever idea.

PrimoPyro

Hey!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 02:59:00 PM »
Can this be done to an aniline? Ph-NH2 --> Ph-N#C (# = triple bond)

That would be great! Or one could turn a benzylamine of your choosing into the phenethylamine of your choosing by

PhCH2-NH2 --> PhCH2-N#C --> PhCH2-C#N --> PhCH2CH2-NH2 (via reduction)

hmm, 2,5-dimethoxy-N-methyl-aniline --> 2,5-dimethoxy-4-methyl-aniline, and from there to 2CD.  :)

PrimoPyro

Elementary

Struggling
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2002, 03:50:00 PM »
I am really struggling to find any details on the rearangement of isonitriles to nitriles (isocyanides to cyanides). I have done extensive patent searching with no results and also comprehensive engine searches with no luck.

All I have is a small passage in an organic chemistry book saying that, on heating isonitriles undergo rearrangement, forming nitriles.

Another interesting thing I found :

A newer method of synthesizing nitriles is to pass the vapour of the carboxylic acid or its ester, mixed with ammonia, over heated alumina at 500°c.

Aurelius

isomerization
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2002, 08:41:00 AM »
Try heating the isonitriles in a high boiling suitable solvent (water free, and non-reactive with the isonitrile or the product)  at temps around 180-220*C for a couple of hours then test however you can.