Author Topic: Colombia Is Considering Legalizing Its Cocaine Industry  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Corrosive Joeseph

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
Colombia Is Considering Legalizing Its Cocaine Industry
« on: December 04, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
'Colombia Is Considering Legalizing Its Massive Cocaine Industry' - https://www.vice.com/en/article/epdv3j/colombia-is-considering-legalizing-its-massive-cocaine-industry

/CJ
Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health

Offline aes256

• Founding Wasp
Re: Colombia Is Considering Legalizing Its Cocaine Industry
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 04:29:10 AM »
Fingers crossed on that one. I am hopeful but the pragmatist in me isn't getting overly excited. As the interviewee stated in that article, Columbians on the whole have very little unbiased information when it comes to the war on drugs that is waged against them in their own country. Naturally, education and "depropaganda" will be the first big hurdle to getting legislation like this even on the collective political radar. If they can be sold on the number of lives saved - and the number of lives lost has been astonishing - then maybe the bill will have a chance.

The narco world would definitely start to look like a different beast should the bill be passed. Positives and negatives, and the law of unintended consequences is always lurking around the corner. If you cut off the income to a massive, illegal drug-violence industry where do those people then get their income from? What new (or old) trick do they turn to next to sustain their lavish lifestyle? Voids fill quickly in nature.
Quote from: Eleusis
However, I had serious misgivings about sharing because my quest was one for knowledge and experience while, I knew, for most others it would be for purely economic reasons.

Quote from: Orange
you can always dont make things.
but u cant always make things happen.

Offline Kasey Jones

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:46:26 PM »
Man, that would be awesome!  Unfortunately, the powers that be would never let it happen. Too much money in. police budgets, seizure laws, and prisons.  Plus, like Ae says: how will poor neighborhoods get money? Plus, Mexico's economy is dependent on that unofficial foreign aid .  It would be awesome though.  Man, I wonder if you would still get paranoid if you don't have to worry about the cops? 

Offline big mac

• 5MackO DMT
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »
Cocaine industry being illegal in Colombia is the same thing as if petroleum industry would be illegal in Saudii Arabia, come on.

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »
Won't happen. US and Colombia are of the closest allies. They are joined at the hip. Before 9/11 Colombia was forever BY FAR the biggest recipient of US aide. BY FAR. Even not long after 9/11 started Colombia i think retook the throne from Afghanistan and once again is by far the largest recipient of US aide. They are bought and paid for by the US. The best they could do would be a quasi-legalization like Bolivia where it is legal to grow the crop but as soon as you try to extract the raw cocaine alkaloid it is illegal (or maybe that is Peru... or both)
Any book you want for free:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

Any research paper you want for free:
sci-hub.cc

Offline aes256

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 01:38:58 AM »
But what is that international aid spent on? Doesn't it go mostly to trying to stamp out the evils of the cocaine industry?

Under this new paradigm they'd be nullifying dependence on US aid by removing its necessity altogether. And they'd be independently generating their own income from their licit cocaine industry.
Quote from: Eleusis
However, I had serious misgivings about sharing because my quest was one for knowledge and experience while, I knew, for most others it would be for purely economic reasons.

Quote from: Orange
you can always dont make things.
but u cant always make things happen.