Author Topic: NH3 Tank color  (Read 1905 times)

treyute

NH3 Tank color
« on: June 09, 2003, 07:41:00 AM »
SWIM says he knows of a gas distribution center that keeps plenty of tanks of NH3 scattered among the premises. The quetion he has is what color are the tanks? He knows that a lot of tanks have industry standard colors and markings (blue with white top for medical nitrous etc.) It would make things much easier and quicker if he could narrow his search to certain colored tanks as there are thousands of tanks to search through. Also what kind of warning stickers should he look for as these are much easier to see in a stack of tanks than the small writing that details the contents. He used the TFSE and couldnt find any answer there.

unionpacific

say cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 08:03:00 AM »
alot of gas places have cameras.

methyl_ethyl

Anhydrous tanks
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 08:07:00 AM »
This may seem a bit simplistic, however most, if not all states in the US abide by the FHMR code.  If you live in a problematic meth manufacturing area, do not be surprised to find only empty tanks on premisis after hours of operation.

The Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations (FHMR) regulate the transportation of anhydrous ammonia. The FHMR does provide some relief from the requirements when transported in a "nurse tank" for agricultural use provided it is not for hire. The tank must be marked and placarded as follows:

Proper shipping name ("Anhydrous Ammonia"; all four sides*)
Identification number ("1005" on the placard or an orange panel; all four sides*)
"Inhalation Hazard" (two opposing sides)
Nonflammable Gas Placards (Division 2.2; all four sides*)

*Section 173.315(m)(7) states that nurse tanks do not have to be marked or placarded on the one end with valves, fittings, regulators or gauges when those appurtenances prevent the markings and placard from being properly placed and visible. All markings (i.e., shipping name, etc.) on nurse tanks must be 2.0 inches high

treyute

As far as cameras go, my friend may be a ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 08:25:00 AM »
As far as cameras go, my friend may be a newbee, but he's not dumb. The place has been thoroughly scouted for cameras and full camo will be used when acquiring tanks. He's been successfull many times in grabbing medical nitrous tanks with no repurcusions and knows the security (or lack thereof) very well. I just wish he knew a certain color tank to look for (its really easy to find the blue ones with white tops). This place has mostly 200lb tanks i believe, but they have a fuckload of them just lying around. Is NH3 even stored in 200lb'ers? His area has never had a lab bust that I'm aware of and this place probably wouldnt notice if someone stole a hundred tanks in broad daylight (not that he's going to do that)

methyl_ethyl

Cylinders not tanks
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 11:18:00 AM »
It seems you were referring to NH3 cylinders.  I believe the only NH3 you will find in that size if any would be used as a refrigerant.  The cylinder itself would be silver, with a DOT sticker that would say R-717.  There should also be a large diamond shaped non-flammable gas sticker on it also.
     This link has a picture of what the label should look like, of course yours would say R-717 not R-12 

http://www.thehvacsource.com/Articles/labeling.cfm

treyute

Ok thanks alot, and i do mean cylinder not...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »
Ok thanks alot, and i do mean cylinder not tank.

unionpacific

be careful
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 11:34:00 PM »
here is a few different types of NH3 storage tanks

http://hansontank.us/ammoniastoragetanks.html

methyl_ethyl

however
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 06:12:00 PM »
For the uninformed a cylinder refer's to a vessal that holds a gas. A tank holds a liquified gas,  size matter's not , just because it's small doesn't make it so.

NH3, is a gas at atmospheric pressure and a liquid under pressure, you would usually only find a vessel of the size he was referring to ~(160 lbs) of NH3 filled in a cylinder, in the gaseous state.  NH3 is usually transported in bulk under pressure, ie. in a tank.  Suppose you have a cylinder of gaseous NH3 that is heated and the pressure builds up and the NH3 liquefies, is the vessel no longer considered a cylinder, is it now considered a tank?  The fact is that quite often you may have a cylinder of NH3 that contains liquid NH3, this is why a cylinder should never be filled more than 85% of the capacity by tare weight as marked on the cylinder by the manufacturer, thus allowing for expansion.

jose

bought hvac gas and....
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 10:55:00 AM »
they were green in color
around 100-125 lbs/tank- standard color and size--around 300
lbs w/tank & gas

don't know anything about farm anhydrous though--they dont use that in my state at all