Author Topic: Everyman usage of Aniline?  (Read 1796 times)

wimpy

Everyman usage of Aniline?
« on: June 13, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
I really wonder if there might be a (more or less) everymans usage of Aniline - i mean, what could one use it for if not trying to make illegal drugs or without working in an official lab, like something more personal use? Does anyone have an idea about this or any clue or is there simply nothing one could think of?? (i can see swim standing in the shop, asked what he needed the aniline for - "er ... i ... want to make my one special soap, doh?" or something convincing and believable like that. great  ;D  )
Thanks a lot ...

Bandil

Making fentanyl in a country where fentanyl is
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »
Making fentanyl in a country where fentanyl is legal  :P

ning

aniline is poisonous
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »
and thus not commonly seen in consumer products.

One might be able to sell the story that they were making dye as a chemical demonstration (aniline dye)

But then again, that might still attract unwanted attention.

What's so hard about the hofmann rearrangement?

Astatine

Any MSDS
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 02:45:00 AM »
this bee has seen it is only listed as a laboratory reagent, It appears to have gained a reputation similar to benzene as a carinogen and even mutagen etc.

(what follows is no tested)
Perhaps it may be more available in its salt(aniline hcl) form and can be based but i have never done this it is just a suggestion

If you do get it it would probably be best to use a fume hood or respirator though, you will need them if you are going through with that synth since the end product is so strong if it gets airbourne it will make aniline seem nice.

wimpy

Thanks for all the answers - i was just ...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks for all the answers - i was just curious, as far as i know Anilin is not watched in this sense of the word (i might be wrong), but of course it would be suspect and toxic, too. I like Bandils suggestion best, but i think nings is the most realistic for me. Thanks also for that Aniline hcl hint, might also be worth a try!

btw: are there any countries where fentanyl home manufacture would be legal ... ? oh, ok, you don't have to answer this one ...  ;D

12cheman12

abstract from: http://www.nsc.org/library/chemi...
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »
abstract from:

http://www.nsc.org/library/chemical/aniline.htm

Aniline (CAS #62-53-3) is a colorless to brown oily liquid with an aromatic, pungent odor. It is used in the manufacturing of resins, varnishes, perfumes, printing inks, cloth marking inks, paint removers, photographic chemicals, explosives, herbicides, fungicides, rigid polyurethanes, optical whitening agents, and shoe blacks. It is used as a solvent, and as a chemical intermediate for rubber processing, accelerators, corrosion inhibitors, dyes and pigments, speciality resins, cyclohexylamine, hydroquinine, pesticides such as alachlor, pharmaceuticals such as sulfonamides, 4-anilinophenol, and methylenediisocyanate. It is a component of lacquers, wood stains, and skin stains. It is an analytical reagent in paper chemistry, and an azeotropic agent in the manufacturing of anhydrous hydrazine. It is used in the synthesis of intermediates for artificial sweeteners and isocyanate; it is also a catalyst and stabilizer in the synthesis of hydrogen peroxide and cellulose.

That come up with 2 seconds of looking in google.

wimpy

that's true, but who would believe
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »
that's true, but who would believe a craphead like, say, me, if i'd be affirming i'd be making my own laquer thinner, printing ink, insecticide or something like that... the question was more about something like using hcl for cleaning beton or benzaldehyd for use as a scent, something more in this price class.
wouldn't have asked this if i had found something usable for me, but i thought there still might be something possible (ok, i didn't expect it, but who knows, there are a lot of people in here with kind of really impressing knowledge :)... )

DrLucifer

Re: It is an analytical reagent in paperĀ ...
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »

It is an analytical reagent in paper chemistry.

Can anybody here elaborate on, paper chemistry?  :)

ning

You crazy people!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »
All you need is benzoic acid, urea, alcohol, and bleach! It's not that hard! A one-step reaction seems to be a very small price to pay compared to the work of coming up with alibis, hunting down a supplier that will sell to you, then covering your tracks afterwards.

I can see I need to post those papers soon.... ;D

wimpy

Oh yes, yes, yes! Please post them!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
Oh yes, yes, yes! Please post them - don't get SWIw wrong, he's not that lazy, but he's also not that much a chemist - he thinks he possibly could put it together from the Methylamin FAQ and so on, but no one can even guess what would really be the result in the end when he did, all the least me  ;D  (and neither me nor him would have much of a opportunity to test ...)

ning

Hofmann rearrangement of benzamide to aniline
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 02:49:00 AM »
First, a link to org. syn., because we like them best:

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?rxntypeid=217&prep=CV2P0044

Note that in this modern era, we do not make our hypochlorite by bubbling chlorine gas through NaOH solution, rather we buy it in 5.25 or 15% solutions at the grocery store.

Second, here is a hofmann rearrangement on a delicate substrate using bleach (probably this can be much simplified)

4-(15N)-Amino-2,6-dinitrotoluene

To 5.2 g (20.7 mmol) 3,5-dinitro-4-methylbenz-15N-amide in 250 ml methanol was added 34 mL 5.25% NaOCl (Chlorox) dropwise over a period of 10 min while stirring with a magnetic stir bar. During the addition, the reaction mixture became homogeneous. After the addition, the solution was concentrated to dryness using a vacuum pump at < 30 C. The resulting solid was dissolved in 350 mL water containing 2.5 g NaHCO3 and heated on a steam bath. After 10 min, solid began to precipitate from solution. Heating was continued for 1 hr. The flask was cooled in an ice-water bath and the solid was filtered, washed with water, and dried under vacuum to yield 4.1 g of a brown solid. The solid was dissolved in 30 mL of dioxane and dry HCl was bubbled into the solution. Blah blah, yield 3.5 g, 85%.

this was from J. Labelled. Cpd. Radiopharm. XLI; 1998, 615

More to come on the use of urea, etc.