Author Topic: How to determine Oxone concentration  (Read 2281 times)

wolfx

How to determine Oxone concentration
« on: July 27, 2004, 10:18:00 PM »
SWIW has found Oxone OTC. The label says, "Active ingredent : Potassium peroxymonosulfate", I am reading it right now just to make sure I am not mispelling anything wrong.

I know also that the guys who sell this product get the Oxone from DuPont. From the label, I believe it is the only active ingredient. Now, I have no idea of what the concentration is.

Can I titrate this with HCl to find out ? Is it mole / mole or something more complicated ?

java

Dupont Oxone data....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
Check here for the information .....

TABLE I
DuPont Oxone® Physical Properties and Typical Analysis

Molecular Weight (triple salt)

Active Oxygen
% min.
% average analysis
% theoretical (triple salt)

Active Component
% KHSO5, min.

Bulk Density
g/cm3 (Mg/m3)
lb/ft3
1.15-1.30
72-81

Particle Size
through USS Sieve #20, %
through US Sieve #200, % min.
(also see Table II)

pH
at 25°C (77°F)
1% solution
3% solution

Solubility
g/L, H2O, 20°C (68°F)
(also see Table III)

Moisture Content
% max.

Stability
% active oxygen loss/month
<1

Standard Electrode
Potential (Eo)
V

Heat of Decomposition
kJ/kg
Btu/lb

Thermal Conductivity
W/m·K
Btu·ft/h·ft2·F

.....read more here,......java

http://www.dupont.com/oxone/techinfo/

wolfx

THX
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »
To java : The reference by DuPont shows how to titrate it to determine the concentration, thank you. I have looked at this before, but at the time I did not have a strong interest in Oxone and I have not bookmarked it.

Also, I though the pH would be BASIC, but from the technical info it is acidic ( pH = 2 to 3 listed there ) so it obviously can't be titrated with HCl.

wolfx

pH test not right
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 02:12:00 AM »
I tried a fast pH test on the Oxone. Measured 2.0 g of Oxone, dissolved in 200 ml H2O, purified water ( de-ionized, reverse osmosis ) bought at local grocery store.

Well, I expected to see a low pH, since this would correspond to a 1 % percent solution, right ? According to the DuPont MSDS, the pH should be around 2.0.

I measured the water pH first , to be sure, used my electronic pH meter which I trust, never had problems with before.

Well, water pH = 7.3 - 7.4

After adding the Oxone ( tried it twice, washed everything just to be sure )

With Oxone added, ph = 9.5 once, 9.8 second try.

Is it right ? Is the Oxone old ( possible ) or has it some other stuff added ? Why is the pH basic ?

wolfx

Oxone pH
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:41:00 AM »
From the DuPont info sheet :

Since Oxone® is acidic, it is usually blended with sufficient alkaline salts to buffer it to near-neutral or slightly alkaline pH when compounded into cleaners.

I would say it is possibly what is causing the high pH. I will try to find out from the manufacturer. The product I bought is a pool shock, I guess who made it could have added something to raise the pH. Not the slightest mention of this in the product label though. If someone knows for sure please post.