Author Topic: Hgcl2 question  (Read 2981 times)

ekolo

Hgcl2 question
« on: November 03, 2003, 05:10:00 PM »
ive got hold of some powder Hg kan i make HgCl2 out from that or just liquid Hg. how kan i do that make it liquid.
thx for the help.

nitrous351

huh?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »
Elemental Hg is a liquid at STP, so I seriously doubt you have elemental Hg powder... what color is your powder? What is it's consistency? You might already have a Hg salt and just don't know it...

politoxicomania

HgCl2
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 08:24:00 PM »
Yes im also wondering....

Hg is an liquid wich solidifies at -30°C.
Could bee that u have already a salt.
No matter.
Just solute it in konz. HCl . Heat and stir till u have a solid residue.
 Now it is important to know what kind of salt u have had in ur hands. Ther are many ways to figure this out. Solute it in HCl and give Ba(OH)2 to it. If something precipetates it was a SO4 salt.
Another test should be heating your substanz in vakuum. Does it sublime? If it is Hg u can destill it (Danger!).
And again: Hg and all of its salts are exremly noxious.
Dont try this at home......

ekolo

its silver colour powder its from an factory...
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »
its silver colour powder its from an factory that works with liquid Hg. they "gave" me some powder silver colour and said that it has to be mixed with something to be liquid.
now its just fine powder silver shining in the small plastic bag. what to do with it.

politoxicomania

Do nothing with it
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 08:52:00 PM »
Just let it in its plastic bag.
Its too dangerous, for u and your neighbourhood to experiment with Hg.
Only ( and when i say only i mean only ) when u are a talented chemist and have equipment like a laboratory u can change the metal to a salt via cooking it in an acid like HCl, H2SO4 or HNO3 and your solid residue will be the salt.

Dont try this at home!!!!

ekolo

i do have an lab i know how to work with Hg i...
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 08:58:00 PM »
i do have an lab i know how to work with Hg i know what it kan do and that its dangeres 500mg is lethal and when heated it produces a gas that kan give astma or death if inhaled. i know how to handel it and not to inhale got a gasmask and so on. just want to say i need HgCl2. just couldnt find liquid Hg so just wanted to se if i can produce the HgCl2 from this and how. thats all i need the hgcl2.

politoxicomania

Ok here is the preparation
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 09:12:00 PM »
Your metal (Hg or an Amalgam- or whatever) will solute in konz. HNO3.  Add HCl and a white precipetate of Hg2Cl2 will form. To yield the HgCl2 which is soluble but not very dissoziated one must crystallize very carefully between the disproportion
Hg2 2+  --  Hg 0  +   Hg 2+

But Hg2Cl2 can be used for your application......
;)

ekolo

how much hcl do i add i have 22g of it.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »
how much hcl do i add i have 22g of it. and how to crystalize it to get HgCl2. heat it until hcl is gone or what. more details please.

lugh

No details without more facts
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 10:47:00 PM »
It's impossible to to answer your questions, since it's unknown which compound of mercury you possess  :(  The fact that you're asking such basic questions belies your statements concerning your knowledge of inorganic chemistry, it's rather likely you have an amalgam, which means that the mercury is bonded to another metal, such as sodium or potassium  ::)  Alkali metals are quite hazardous, generally alkaline earth metals aren't quite as dangerous, you need to study a lot more applicable chemistry before you injure yourself or others  ;)  You can find out a lot of information by using the search engine, so hop to it  8)

politoxicomania

Im afraid
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 11:36:00 PM »
Im afraid of a spezial kind of chemists.

Post 467861 (not existing)

nitrous351

maybe Hg spill cleanup residue
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 08:17:00 AM »
I've seen several Hg spill cleanup containers in my day, and the liquid elemental Hg is reacted with earth metals to form a solid material (like what Lugh said). The product of this reaction looks like silver pencil shavings. The consistency of the solid would depend how hard it is to scrape this up off the floor/benchtop. I would definitely leave this stuff alone.
Actually, don't leave it alone. Take it to the nearest university organic chem lab so it can be properly disposed of. They'll be happy to do it for you.
HgCl2 is pretty easy to synth, but you should start with pure elemental liquid Hg. Whatever you do, be fuckin' careful, or the Hg will literally turn you insane if it literally doesn't kill you first. peace

ekolo

hmmm ok i will get rid of it, just thought...
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 08:46:00 PM »
hmmm ok i will get rid of it, just thought that i could make liquid out of it thats it dont want to kill my self hehehe. now i got to search for some liquid ooooohhhh hate the search for some old barometers oh well. thanks for the "help".  :)

and i got it from a factory that handels with this stuff in liquid form they gave it to me and sayed that something has to be mixed with this powder to make it liquid Hg thats all. so its not a spill i realy got it from a factory that produces small wires for pacemakers they mix this liquid Hg with some sealing wax. they couldnt give me some liquid Hg because its blended with the sealing wax so i got the powder well thanks for the help. :)  :)

ekolo

hold up hold up just talked with somone from...
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 08:49:00 PM »
hold up hold up just talked with somone from the factory they sad to me that its pure silver that means i got 20g of powdered silver its just silver damn what kan i do with it make Hg maybe huh. hehehe its silver. ;D  ;D  ;D

politoxicomania

Here
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »
Look here :

Post 468752

(politoxicomania: "Hg (l)  from any source containing Hg", Chemistry Discourse)

ekolo

wow no way thanks for the help but thats wayyy
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 09:32:00 PM »
wow no way thanks for the help but thats wayyy too much work for Hg me gonna find old barometers and termometers and smash them in the head to collect the Hg much easier and funnier. but thanks for the help. what to do now with this powder hmmmm now thats a question.
 and by the way where should i handel the HgCl2 any way if not at the home. i have no where to go. dont know if the lokal lab would rent me their lab for a coupel of houers.

politoxicomania

And again:
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 09:43:00 PM »
I know that u need HgCl2 for certain reaktion.
Forget it. Try another reaktion. Dont use HgCl2.
This will be to dangerous in pharmaceutical home production. Ok, reaktion looks very easy, but dont use HgCl2 please. I ll speak in the name of all who ll try your home-made stuff.
There are so many easy and useful methods to prepare drugs.

ekolo

dont worey i have to use the HgCl2 in the...
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
dont worey i have to use the HgCl2 in the Nitromethane Al/Hg its just 400mg of it. its not much or lethal.
its 400mg HgCl2 dissolved in 750 mL of lab grade MeOH.
its not lethal or dangeres well yes for me making the stuff HgCl2 its dangeres but il be fine.
ya se i need it.

jackhole

500mg HgCl2 has shown to be lethal in humans...
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 02:31:00 AM »
...so you may want to be a little more careful when working around that dangerous metal.  While I don't know how careful you are, assuming that 400mg of mercuric chloride is not lethal is not the right approach to handling that substance.

MisterWize

HgCl2 confusion?
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »
Swim was under the impression, from reading previous posts and on www.rhodium.ws, that synthing Hgcl2 from Hg is a relatively easy process? Or is he mistaken....

Obviously Hg is highly toxic and should not be touched except with proper gloves, but what other precautions are there, apart from excessive heating in an open container?

Any safety tips will be greatly appreciated as Swim is confused

lugh

Ingestion
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 05:13:00 PM »
It's best if mercury isn't ingested, as it is toxic, mercuric chloride is more toxic than many other such compounds. It's made rather easily, and since this subject is rather well covered here, it's time to start using the search engine, instead of posting redundant questions  ;)