Author Topic: MeAm from hexamine and HBr  (Read 2888 times)

wacko_reaco

MeAm from hexamine and HBr
« on: March 21, 2002, 08:19:00 PM »
Would this work better than with HCl using normal conditions, any thoughts, is MeAM.HBr as deliquessiant as the chloride, is NH4Br soluble in water, i think i should get my CRC out

wacka wacka wacka

Rhodium

HBr
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2002, 10:41:00 AM »
I believe it would be completele unnecessary to use HBr - as far as I know, the bromide salts are even more hygroscopic/water soluble.

cheeseboy

waco
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2002, 04:40:00 PM »

Bwiti

I think he's on the right track by trying to ...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
I think he's on the right track by trying to think of a cleaner, less tedious way to make methylamine. Damn, ain't that ammonium cloride a bitch to separate from the goods. If there was an over-priced solvent that would take advantage of their differences, I'd definately buy it! 8)

Love my country. Fear my government.

http://www.gothicradio.com

Chromic

MeOH works really well
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2002, 04:44:00 AM »
MeOH works very well to separate MeAmCl from AmCl. It's gives a decently pure MeAmCl, but most important, it's very efficient and easy to use. I've been procrastinating on doing a writeup for the hive... but the method is easy and works well.

terbium

No solvent extraction necessary.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 08:29:00 AM »
Damn, ain't that ammonium cloride a bitch to separate from the goods.
I don't find it difficult. If you go through the proper stages of concentrating the aqueous reaction mixture and filtering off crops of ammonium chloride then when the methylamine hydrochloride crystallizes from the reaction mixture it will be sufficiently free of ammonium chloride that it won't need the "extraction with hot anhydrous alcohol" step.

wacko_reaco

no time
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2002, 12:37:00 AM »
it really would be a breeze, the ammonium bromide is soluble in acetone and ether. The whole mix could simply be roughly dehydrated on the rotovap then immersed in acetone. The only thing i don't know is if the meAm.HBr is also soluble in acetone, the hydrochloride salt is not, anyone know. I think the reaction would proceed better using HBr also. Might do a small trial, couldn't hurt.

wacka wacka wacka

terbium

I would expect both to be soluble.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2002, 07:50:00 AM »
Since ammonium bromide is soluble in acetone while ammonium chloride is not then I would expect methylamine.HBr to also be soluble in acetone.

wacko_reaco

damm
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2002, 11:58:00 PM »