Author Topic: bizarre urban myth maybeeee?????  (Read 5594 times)

randolph_carter

bizarre urban myth maybeeee?????
« on: January 30, 2004, 12:18:00 AM »

ChemoSabe

Palladium Metal
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 12:33:00 AM »
According to our own (currently MIA) god of electro wayupnorth (who gave it up in favor of birch) portions of certain types of telephone line transformers contain some quite usable sized amounts of palladium metal.

I trust wayupnorth but have never heard this confirmed by anyone else.

I suspect some connection between these two similar but as yet unconfirmed "rumors".

Here is one related reference but there is a better one somewhere

Post 58014 (missing)

(wayupnorth: "Re: catalytic converter cleanup", Stimulants)

This is it. In one of his tweakier posts. The info is about 3/4 of the way down the non paragraphed, stream of conciousness-style chunk of verbiage. Key words - terminal strips.

Post 48080 (missing)

(wayupnorth: "Re: Dental Grade Palladium Ingots for Elecro Synthsis", Stimulants)

PS. My knowledge of chemistry as it applies to electronics is less than zero but I would bee fascinated to know how P2P might actually be useful in the realm of electronic gadgetry.

Rhodium

Transformer Oil = PCB =/= P2P
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »
you heard it right P2P NOT PCB!

But YOU didn't hear it right, as it's still only PCB in those transformers no matter how much you want it to be P2P.

Post 318065 (missing)

(PolytheneSam: "Either you or someone else is trying to kill ...", Stimulants)

Post 295487 (missing)

(Rhodium: "PCB vs. 2C-B", The Couch)

Post 182720 (missing)

(Osmium: "Re: RP from motorcycle batteries", Chemicals & Equipment)

randolph_carter

as i thought......
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 12:58:00 AM »

spectralshift

It's bewildering to me how someone who is so...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 01:03:00 AM »
It's bewildering to me how someone who is so desparate to get a chemical OTC is going to be able to do anything with it.

transformers are seriously pricey anyway, they are full of copper wire and layers of common metal, nice quality plastic in small amounts, and other worthless junk for chemistry.

There's easier sources for palladium.
At the local car wreckers, precious metal and bullion dealers, and certain artist supplies places...
actually my bad, that's Pt...

methymouse

From http://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/chickenfee...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »
From

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/chickenfeed.html

"Interestingly, P-2-P was used in a commercial glass and plastic cleaner called Opti-Kleen (Industrial Optical Service, Pembroke, Massachusetts). Its use in the product pre-dated the  scheduling of P-2-P as a controlled substance under Federal law. The Drug Enforcement Administration granted Industrial Optical Service an exemption (the only exemption to date) under  the provisions of 21 CFR 130823, allowing them to continue using P-2-P in Opti-Kleen. The concentration of P-2-P in the cleaning product was less than 2% and represented a use of 40kg  of P-2-P during the year 1981. However, because of the stringent Federal registration, record keeping and accountability, the company stopped using P-2-P in its formulation of  Opti-Kleen in 1982 (Dal Cason T, Sottolano S, Murphy J, personal communications)."

Furthermore, why would power companies use a liquid in power transformers?  What possible use could P2P have in power transformers?  Why is it not totally fucking obvious that this is BS?