Author Topic: Soapy GBL  (Read 2822 times)

raybeez

Soapy GBL
« on: January 18, 2003, 08:01:00 AM »
The other day, SWIM found himself in a situation where he had to transfer his stash of GBL into wine bottles for quick transfer to another location. SWIM cleaned wine bottles with liquid dish detergent + dH2O. SWIM was in a hurry, and rushing to get the lactone bottled, and accidently poured 2L of GBL into a bottle that hadn't yet had the detergent properly rinsed out.. soapy bubbles had formed when SWIM looked into the bottle.

SWIM was wondering if 1) the presence of the dish soap in the GBL would react with/degrade the GBL, and 2) If SWIM tries to react soapy the GBL with a hot alkaline solution, would the presence of the soap interfere with the formation of the final product that he is tring to make?

SWIM appreciates any advice.

BlingBling

dang
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 10:55:00 AM »
Thats an odd scenario. (sarcasm)

If I was on "who want's to be a millionaire" and regis asked me that, I would have to say you would be ok, althought things might get a little sudsey.

Either way, your gonna try it right? Who knows.. maybe the shit will taste better!

raybeez

Soapy GBL
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 07:05:00 AM »
SWIM wouldn't try it either way.. if you had said that it would react/degrade the lactone into something bad, SWIM would have doubts about going ahead, and would probably just drink it as is (with the soap)

thanks for the info anyways

SPISSHAK

Ayeecunt-rumba
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 07:09:00 AM »
Sounds like you got yerself in a slippery conundrum.

madprosr

i bet if you try to distil it with 9 parts...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 09:31:00 AM »
i bet if you try to distil it with 9 parts water, it will bubble up and foam over instead of distilling...

and i bet you have no rig.

so, IMHO, just check if it's non-toxic soap, make the ghb, and bee sure to bioassay it personally before allowing other humans to consume it.

hmm, might want to boil some of that dish soap with NaOH solution for awhile as a test, to see if it degrades and gives any nasty colors... then neutralize it and drink to test the taste  ;) !

swim remembers dreaming of wearing an ear-to-ear grin as he walked down the street with a 5gallon jug of gbl he had just picked up from the campus post-office. guy asks swim, what's in the box? swim says, is it my new monitor? guy says, no, it's liquid. swim walks out the door with the box. heh, heh, heh.

Chromic

Soap
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2003, 09:32:00 PM »
If it's a small amount of soap, don't worry it's not going to hurt you... react as usual. If it's a largish amount, distill (without water) and then react.

goiterjoe

another possibility
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 10:48:00 PM »
react it with NaOH to make GHB, then see if you can extract off the soap with some cold anhydrous alcohol.