Author Topic: Reactions in supercritical fluids  (Read 3723 times)

Organikum

Reactions in supercritical fluids
« on: August 20, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »
Here:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/supercritical/scintro.html

follow the links to:

- Hydrogenation
- Organometallic
- Friedel-Crafts
- etc.

Although technically not trivial this seems to me a interesting read and I propose that in future SC-technology will become widely available - green chemistry and more.
The dangers of high-pressure are easily circumvented by the use of flow-reactors and microtubing. And as we know - HPLC apparati dont tend to explode too  ;D

armageddon

hm
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »
Interesting - but you don't think really this has any applications in clandestine chemistry, do you?

As I understand it, the talked-about subject are pressurized, cooled gases as solvent, right? Personally, I would at any time prefer any liquid solvent over those "supercritical fluid" solvents (maybe because I strongly dislike pressurized systems  ;) ).

But cool futuristic technique! Maybe in 50 years?  ;D

Greetz A

abolt

Sycophant
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »
Does Organikum pay you to follow him around all day and tell him how wonderful he is?

Organikum

If you would have looked at the link to ...
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
If you would have looked at the link to "flow-reactors" armageddon you might have discovered the modular units which have been developed by these scientists and which are claimed to be as easy to use as grounded glassware.

Of course this is not the technique of choice for cooking up some speed, but if somebody for example goes after LSD this might be something else. The small amounts processed and the high investments needed anyways make sc-reactions quite interesting I believe. And the necessity of HPLC says most needed equipment is already there, high-pressure pump and gases.....

Hey Abolt! Nice to see you at it again! You actually pity me, but much more pity me the ppl who have to live with you in realworld. Lets talk about you and your problems. Come on, tell, whats up? Small penis, first sex a gangbang, alcoholic and fucking up simple reactions? Thats no reason to be so grumpy man! Take it easy! It could ne worse. Dunno how though, but it for sure it could be.
You really remind me of a drunkard who is reeling over the street, has pissed in his pants a bottle of booze in one hand and who is bawling, spitting saliva, molesting everyone around, looking for trouble. But he is so pissed that nobody lays hands on him as he is no match. Thats you Abolt, thats you.

Dont worry - be happy  ;D
ORG

honey_badger

and both your arses should wake up to green...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 06:58:00 AM »
and both your arses should wake up to green chemistry.

excellent find organikum, what ever the cost to green chemistry you dont put numbers on well being.

chemotype

ionic liquids are cool too...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 02:02:00 AM »
Also check out the possible use of ionic liquids as green alternatives to present-day solvents.  Although not optimized for clandestine use  ;)  , they are low-melting ionic liquids whose polarity and viscosity can be tuned.  Most ionic liquids are salts of aromatic heterocycles and they are recyclable.  Reactions such as the Suzuki reaction and Diels-Alder reaction  (as well as others) have been succesfully carried out in ionic liquids.

Green chemistry is interesting, eh?   :)

lugh

The References
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 03:27:00 AM »
The articles referenced from that page, which clarify the methodology as to how some supercritical reactions are carried out in the laboratory  ;)

New Directions in Inorganic and Metal-Organic Coordination Chemistry in Supercritical Fluids, Jawwad A. Darr and Martyn Poliakoff, Chem. Rev.1999, 99, 495-541.

Supercritical Fluids as Solvents for Chemical and Materials processing, Eckert, C. A., Knutson, B. L., Debendetti, P. G., Nature, 1996, 383, 313.

Homogeneous Catalytic Hydrogenation of Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, Jessop, Ph. G., Ikariya, T., Noyori, R., Nature 1994, 368, 231.

8)